Can’t stop

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi im 44 ive been bodybulding since 15

when i hit my 25s i had a bad life wiv my x i drank 8-12 cans every day for at least 8 years

ive tyed to stop and i do for about a week then just go back on it what can i do

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mark. Welcome and great to see you here. Honesty is great. How much do you want to stop? Is it destroying your life and dominates your lifestile? Would you like to stop completely? Or just reduce your drinking? Perhaps you should think long and hard about yourself and then make a decision. Tell us more about yourself. All the best from Robin.

• Posted

Mark, have a look at The Sinclair Method. I used it and it worked well. I've been successfully moderating for over 3 years, down from a 12 pack every night (at least). Scroll down to the section on The Sinclair Method on this page:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/useful-resources-487627

It's available on NHS, but they don't call it The Sinclair Method. Joanna at CThree Europe can help guide you through the hoops to get the treatment on NHS. There are also private consults available from docs that know the method, if you'd rather go that way.

• Posted

As it is your old habit so it'll take time to stop. But nothing is impossible if you want you dafenately can do. And if you are not able to do it alone, you need to take help of others to stop it. Most of the patients who try to get sober on their own end up relapsing. Recovery can be a painful process but

it is important to go through it. In case of home treatment, most of the patients relapse because they are not able to endure the painful withdrawal symptoms. You have to be strong and supportive. Although willpower has an important role to play in the treatment of any disease, no serious illness can be overcome by it alone. Any type of addiction including alcohol addiction creates some changes in the structure of the brain which makes it difficult to overcome, that is why getting help from medical professionals who can structure treatment plans accordingly is extremely important.

• Posted

So, did you get help from medical professionals Pamela?

I am not a betting person, but if I was, from the way you write I would hazard a guess that you have never gone through recovery yourself. There is just something slightly 'off' in the way you write your posts.... never once, ever, referring to what worked for you. I've never, ever known anyone in recovery write or talk the way you do.

I don't doubt your desire to help, because you wouldn't be posting here otherwise, but how about telling us what worked for YOU? Did you go to AA, or use medication, or counselling.... or all of them?

• Posted

Hi Joanna

I am tempted to say "great minds think alike" I have asked Pamela about her treatment and what worked for her. i have also asked her on another discussion to explain how the route to sobriety can be discribed as 'beautiful'!

• Posted

Pamela you have'nt replied to answer my questions or about your road to recovery. Just wondered if you posted before under the name Alexandra?

Your posts are very similar and she never answered anyones questions either. Of course I may be wrong, in which case I apologise.

• Posted

I am not Alexandra and I every time not telling my story. Seem times I say about my friends or sometimes I said about my niece. I have also suffered from addiction but it is from alcohol. Now I am completely clear and happy:).

• Posted

Since most addiction recovery can take similar paths, why don't you tell us what worked for your addiction then?What worked for you might be the thing that the original poster didn't/hasn't considered.

Seems odd that you would give experience from others but not yourself.

I'm genuinely interested in what worked for you. What helped you get completely clear and happy?

• Posted

pamela i would hope your addiction is from alcohol as your posting on an alcohol consumption forum.

How did you become clear and happy. Medication achieved that for me and many others

• Posted

You have tried to stop but you can't because you have a long addiction process. The chances of relapse never truly go away even after a complete treatment. Many examples are there. The chances are increased even further when a proper treatment program is not availed. Eating healthy, doing regular exercise and yoga and staying positive can help the patient stay drug free for the rest of

his life. It is not easy all the time, but still we can try.

• Posted

You are wrong.

Many here are using The Sinclair Method to bring their drinking to a gradual halt. It is scientifically proven and evidence based to pharmacologically extinguish cravings and urges to drink - therefore, removing any possibility of relapse even being an issue.

Please do your research and read from others on here using The Sinclair Method before you go telling people that relapse never truly goes away.

You are giving people incorrect information.

• Posted

Enough about others. What is your personal experience? You never tell us about yourself. Why is that i wonder.

• Posted

pamela please refrain from posting wrong information

What helped you personally?

what do you consider to be a proper treatment program.

It would be good if you could reply to people, rather than just posting incorrect information

• Posted

yes robin i agree, It would be good to know how alexander recovered and why she wont answer our questions

• Posted

sorry, I meant to say Pamela not Alexander

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.