Can't stop humming!

Posted , 66 users are following.

Put this under neurological as don't know where else to post it. I find myself constantly coming out with a repetitive (same few notes) hum. I think it first started when I would be finishing an arduous task but now it is frequent through the day - almost like a sort of crutch/mantra. Last week I nipped into the dentist's loo just before an appointment and realised I had been at it again. Which was embarrassing as there was someone waiting outside.

Any techniques for dealing with this? I want to stop!

10 likes, 84 replies

84 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have always, for probably all of my life, hummed quietly to myself.  It's usually 3 or 4 notes just repeated constantly.  It could be a song I just heard, or it could just be any random notes. I never thought much about it until I started sitting at work in rather close quarters and started wondering if I was bothering my co-workers with it.  I wonder if it's more of a self-soothing technique - - - - it seems to increase with anxiety, but it is always there at some level.

• Posted

I have done the same thing for a long time, and really started hearing myself when I was in the shower..and then others made comments.. my sister told me that I even hum in my sleep.

I do a lot of self work, self analyzing is second nature to me. In doing such, about my humming, I've come to find that it is, for me, a comforting self soothing coping behavior.

I have severe anxiety, bipolar disorder, depression, and a pretty 'blow your mind' sort of life.. So rapid thoughts and ADD have also been a part of my life for many years..

Humming for me is my instinctual way/behavior to self soothe my brain..

Another reference that compared to this, in my situation, was when I began drumming with a drum circle, and found that sense of "OM"/Peace that IS within my brain and being.. all from the rhythmic beats of the drums..

Soothed and calmed the high energy activity that is, my brain.

I figure, it could be worse.. I could overeat, or overspend, or some self destructive behavior to, self soothe.. but I kinda like my freedom.. If it bothers others, I leave humming. Lol

• Edited

Wow!

Although this thread is mostly 5 year old discussions, I read all the replies, and feel like I am among "family" when it comes to my "condition", which I have had for years.

I also tend to have similar repeating, somtimes complex, finger tip tapping. (Constant on the steering wheel).

As well as, as someone else mentioned, during stressful times, it worsens, to include the need to "keep the beat going", including, nodding my head, as if I am listening to music.

I'd love to know if anyone has found any significant new info???

John Age 57. Techno-Geek. Widower. Technical job that I love.

• Posted

For some reason, I cannot read your whole comment.??

• Posted

Tonya,

I have had a similar life experience as a bi-polar.

and your experience with this is also seemingly the very same thing.

I have found a contented place with, and enjoy using my manic tendencies to my creative advantage.

• Posted

I have no manic times. But music soothes me no matter my mood.

• Posted

Wow!

Although this thread is mostly 5 year old discussions, I read all the replies, and feel like I am among "family" when it comes to my "condition", which I have had for years.

I also tend to have similar repeating, sometimes complex, finger tip tapping. (Constant on the steering wheel).

As well as, as someone else mentioned, during stressful times, it worsens, to include the need to "keep the beat going", including, nodding my head, as if I am listening to music.

I'd love to know if anyone has found any significant new info???

John Age 57. Techno-Geek. Widower. Technical job that I love.

• Edited

1. I have the problem of humming all day. I keep humming the same little ditty over and over and when I realize what I am doing I stop. Then it starts over again. This is driving me sick. Also, my fingers move like they are typing on a keyboard. I control those better. I would love to stop both. Any ideas from anyone please write to me. I am a retired Registered Nurse.
    • Posted

I have the exact same issue.

Even though my humming is generally very soft, it gives me a sore throat some times.

My sequential (always either left to right, or right to left. ) finger tapping is 90% on my right hand. (I am right handed)

I'm not sure what it is though, but I also bi-polar, but very well controlled.

Hmmmm.

You are not alone in your frustration.

John

• Posted

John, have you asked a doctor about these symptoms? I have an appointment in August with my Neurologist. I will tell him then, I am not bi-polar but I am getting more than disgusted with this humming and typing thing. God bless you. Where do you live? I live in Kentucky.

• Posted

I have not, as of yet, discussed it with a doctor, but please let me/us know what you find out.

I live in PA.

• Posted

Hi Just wondering what your doctor said. Please let us know. 😃

• Posted

Jane,

Are you into music or dance? Ever play an instrument??

Try a djembe drum .. Im a finger flicking hummer as well. This has helped me.

• Posted

Tonya, thank you for writing. I have played the piano all my life. I also have a condition called Essential Tremors. My hands and arms shake but that has nothing to do with my fingers moving. Or my humming.

• Posted

Kathleen - I also have anxiety.. and have found that when I hum, I'm usually anxious..and its a good way to self comfort ones self ...

• Posted

My son is used to it.. and even when we think were just bored, there can still be anxiety or anxious thoughts floating around in our heads..hence, humming..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.