Can't straighten leg or walk 5 weeks after Total Knee Replacement.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Most of what I had read or heard about Total Knee Replacement (TKR) led me to believe that I would be up and walking about in a few days after the operation. So it has been a bit worrying for me that over five weeks after the operation, that whilst I can easily bend the knee, I cannot straighten the leg or put enough weight on it to walk! However I have been heartened to read here that my situation is quite common and that, hopefully what is required is patience.

I have read that i should be drinking a lot of water. As one who, at the age of 75, prefers to keep my liquid intake down, I would like to know the reason for this.

In addition I would like any information on people's experiences of extended periods before walking was possible.

Thanks, Jim

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I HAD TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT BACK IN MARCH AND STILL HAVE PAIN WHEN I WALK, MY KNEE STILL DOESNT LOOK LIKE MY KNEE, I AM STILL CAREFUL WALKING UP THE STAIRS AS THE PAIN IS AWFUL I GO BACK TO SEE MY SURGEON IN APRIL 2019 AND TO BE HONEST I STILL CANT WALK THAT FAR WITHOUT TERRIBLE PAIN, DONT WANT TO ADD TO YOUR PROBLEMS BUT SOME PEOPLE ARE STILL IN PAIN 3 YEARS ON, SO I WILL HAVE TO WAIT TILL APRIL, WHEN I FIRST HAD IT DONE I WAS ON GABAPENTEN AND IT HELPED BUT MY HEAD WAS ALL OVER THE PLACE I CAME OFF IT AND JUST PUT UP WITH THE PAIN, AND THATS WHERE I AM NOW. HOPE YOU IMPROVE QUICKLY AND HAPPY NEW YEAR

• Posted

Sorry, to hear about your problems, Max. I hope that they are resolved soon. A Happy and Healthy New Year to you.

Regards, Jim

• Posted

Hello JIM, i am 7weeks post op LTKR and like you i was under prepared. You NEED pain medication to do all the exercises etc! ice/elevate often. Mostly the increased fluids is to keep the cells/muscles fully hydrated and under less stress to heal/perform better, and to help the bowels cope with the side effects of stronger medication. I'm now having a strong pain tablet before bed as i find sleeping/pain is worst at night. Panadol during the day. I had a dip at the beach today, and at the end of the day, i was as tired as a 2yo!! It's a long slog.

Good luck, we all understand. Mary.

• Posted

Thanks, Mary. Funny enough the pain is not too bad for me. I am only taking four paracetamol a day. Although swelling of leg and foot is much reduced, leg feels like lead most of the time. Since you went for a dip, I presume you are walking.

Kind regards,

Jim

• Posted

Hi Jim - My recovery has not gone as predicted either. (had TKR on July 18) I used a crutch for about 3 months, then progressed to a cane. Now I'm walking without a device, able to take care of short distance errands without too much walking required, able to get out a bit for social events, etc. Standing for long periods such as for cooking a meal or cleaning up after is painful.

I sought a second opinion at about 4 months as my surgeon basically blew me off, telling me he didn't know what the problem was/is, but letting me know he didn't do anything wrong. The second dr. said if I wasn't better in 2 months, he would recommend starting over with a complete revision.

I am getting better, VERY SLOWLY, but it seems there is either a mechanical problem or muscle damage to the quads.? I have little to no pain when I take it easy, but I didn't have the surgery just to take it easy! I see the second opinion dr again this week. I'm almost to 6 months post TKR.

I urge you to at least get a second opinion. Not sure what my end result will be, but I wish you the best!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, Ali. I am sorry you are having problems. I will be seeing my consultant for the first post-op review in three days and it will be interesting to see what he says. My situation is a little complicated in that I have a congenital walking disability and I believe that as well as the TKR, the surgeon performed a realignment of the lower and upper leg. My leg does seem to be slowly getting stronger and as soon as I can put sufficient weight on it, i should be able to start walking. I'm hoping that, in my case, I just need a little extra time.

Regards, Jim

• Posted

We ALL thought the same thing before surgery and ran right into that same brick wall. It is shocking, depressing and frustrating...but behind it all are the expectations we had. In TKRVille, there are ZERO expectations...everyone is different. However...

Although there are those who skate through this in six weeks and others to have protracted recoveries, for most of us it takes a year. The first 3 months are the worst and focused on getting your 0 / +120 ROM back. Most are also back to work pretty much pain free in 4-6 months depending on age, job, etc. However, this requires doing the muscle rebuild that takes the pressure off the knee and puts it back on the supporting musculature. This is mandatory to walk correctly, regain your balance and start doing stairs again alternately like a normal person.

By nine months, you start "feeling more like" yourself and then you dance at your one year TKR anniversary party. The recovery takes three things: time, work and patience...if you don't have the latter, you will learn it. The knee can be a harsh taskmaster.

Click on my name, Discussions, and then See All. I have about 30 topics out there that should be of some help.

• Posted

Thanks for your informative and somewhat reassuring reply, Chico.

Regards, Jim

• Posted

JIM go to his page which Your reply to me helped me SO much and i'm very grateful for this site. It helped me to see i was doing ok in the scheme of it all and that we're all very different in recovery. THANK you Chico for still taking the time to help people.

• Posted

sorry pressed wrong button. Any way Jim, you get the gist of it i hope. Chico is wonderful to care after so long, and everyone else. You at least feel you have people that understand. Read their advice even if it may not be relevant to you....today! I am not patient BUT i'm learning fast.

• Posted

I am the opposite to you, I am having trouble bending my knee but can straighten my leg. I don't know much about drinking water, other than it is supposed to be good for us. Keep in touch. Susane

• Posted

Hi Jim well patience is the answer. I was told to keep hydrated water galore and I did. I was walking without aid after 6 weeks. You have to rest elevate and ice a lot lot lot. It helped me as well as voltarol behind the knee helped sleep at night. I'm 8 months tkr and doing really well second knee booked in next month. It will get better just stuck but remember listen to your knee when it aches you Must rest. Good luck x

• Posted

I think we all react differently to this op, I was lucky as although very bad pain at about 8 weeks it went and havent really had to take pain meds since. Had very little swelling , I didnt overdo the physio , just made sure i could flatten and bend knee , found lying in bed best way for me to do it. Used a cane for walking the dog for a while , mostly because hes big and can pull, but havent really limped since about 3 months post op . with straighening your knee have you tried putting ice on it then pushing it flat on the bed using your hands? I dont think at 5 weeks i could walk without crutches , so dont worry give it another 6 weeks but you will probably still need a cane .

• Posted

Hmm, I haven't used ice for a while Jenny as swelling is much reduced.

Jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.