Can't switch off to sleep

Posted , 4 users are following.

It's nearly 6am and have been awake since 3, this is quite normal. I just can't sleep I lie awake thinking. Every noise disturbs me, arthritis in my neck disturbs me, I can't get comfortable because I am big busted and they get in the way. I sleep on average 5 hours per night and up until recently I haven't worried about it. I am now really foggy in the day, can't concentrate, get really cross and feel angry with everything. I am just so tired. I have noticed my eating habits are bad as I crave carbs and sugar which I think it because I need the energy. Going to the toilet at least 4 times a night doesn't help either. I am female and 60 and just want some thoughts on how to get comfortable and actually stay asleep. I am interested in medication as need to be alert. I also struggle to sleep if anything touches me husband included as I get really hot. Feels better just posting this message.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry should say not interested in taking medication

• Posted

I'm sorry you are having an awful time. Have you seen your GP? All these trips to the loo make me wonder about diabetes. Then you say no drugs, why not?

I have pain for similar reasons & when I really cannot sleep, I get up & make a cup of tea, then try going back to bed.

I also have various autoimmune diseases, so I do take drugs but cannot take anti inflammatories, so take drugs with codeine in them. I take them as infrequently as possible but if I take them around 9pm, they knock me out, so I sleep.

• Posted

what do you take for sleep?

• Posted

I am prescribed Co-Dydramol for pain, I don't like taking them because they can be addictive but they send me to sleep.

• Posted

i am a male of 74 years and have not slept good for 40 odd years and have tried everything . i more or less go 2 nights with little or no sleep then the third night i might get 4 or 5 hours . i am very fit and go to the gym sauna and pool three days a week for 2 hours doing basically all of the machines in the gym . i am now on cbd oil and ashwagandha root and have been told that it helps but we have to see , also i do squats before bed it helps . it must be a brain problem because my mother and father took sleeping pills for 30 to 40 years and lived until around the 90 mark . this is not a nice way to live but i guess we have to play the cards we are dealt . not interested in medication have a tee shirt for that one and not the way to go ..stay natural .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.