Can't swollow

Posted , 3 users are following.

All day iv been ok this afternoon I started feeling I couldn't swollow again this first happened when my grandad died I cried and after all night I could not swollow it cleared until this week and now it's been all night 6 hours of when I do swollow it pools at back of my throat so I have to try and force a swollow im so scared it's causing me into a panic attack and I keep seeing myself been put in icu ect I know it sounds crazy but I really do not feel right which is weird cause I feel well for.once right now but I'm. Not I can hardly drink now too I'm scared it will go into my lungs as I have to down the drink to actually get it to go down

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Stephx I'm so sorry u feel like this.....the muscles tense up and give tge sensation of choking I get this a lot and it's horrible what works for me is getting out for a brisk walk for about 15 mins it relaxes bupropion muscles and u will see it eases.....I've had to get out in the middle of the night b4 as it was so overwhelming.....if u can't get out tonight put sone music on loud and jump about (yes it sounds mad) but u need to burn that energy adrenalin away 
    • Posted

I feel like the can't swollow/forgetting how to swollow is causing the adrenline thought ?

I will try what you say but iv carried on walking cooking ect while this has gone on even got a bath I had to escape the bath as I honestly thought I was going to die .

Is this normal for anxiety I have had it for more than 10 years and I have never experienced this until last week and now ? This morning I woke and it felt my throat was tiny and I'm worried I couldn't swollow in my sleep is this possible or is it like breathing where your body auto does it ? Xx

• Posted

It's a classic symptom of anxiety for me it's the one I get all the time in fact right now I have it to.......I remember the first time I experienced it I sat atthe  table the whole night with fear it's horrible.....if u are concerned pop along to ur gp and get then to check it out.....do u take anything for ur anxiety??
  • Posted

its very common with anxiety, and the more we focus on it the more the anxiety increases, its a vicious cycle
  • Posted

Thanks for letting me know it's common you know hat gooey can do to you .

It hasn't gone I've woken up the same been up 3 hours and still the same though I can eat and drink just as I swollow I have to really try my mum thinks it's stress and my family don't seem concerned who would when I cry wolf about 8 times a day ! Lol

I'm going to try and ignore it and get on with life because if I don't and I end up been ok at least I can say I tried just feel anxoety is trying to tip me over the edge and I'm guessing it is time to beg my doxtor for medication even though he doesn't think meds are any good for me and thinks the side effects are not worth it as my body seems to now react to a lot of meds and give me horrible side effects and hives but I will try because I can't go on like this thank you all I hope your all well xxx

• Posted

Google not hat gooey haha
    • Posted

Yes the more u focus on it the more tense it will be however it's easier said than done not to be thinking about it - distraction is the key try utube for some guided meditation to help relax u

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.