can't walk at all!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Just had bunion surgery 3 days ago on both feet. I have bandages wrapped around my feet and was given soft Velcro shoes, and told to walk on heels with crutches. At the time just after surgery I could do so at the hospital  but can't now at all. My ankles only bend a tiny bit, so I have been dragg my self on the floor to the bathroom! 

Is there something wrong? Is the bandages on to tight? Help? Does anyone else have or had this problem?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Oh dear you poor thing ! You need to speak to surgeon or GP and get some answers  I am sure is nothing to worry about but you need to know what's going on so don't struggle and worry just get to speak to someone about it!

Best wishes

• Posted

I am 9 days post op and found it took 3 or 4 days before I was able to walk on heels with crutches. I got about the house on a small desk chair with wheels using the crutches to push me along backwards. (I must have looked really daft) each day from then has got better and now can manage fine with more flexibility. I hope this will be the case for you too. 
  • Posted

You poor soul. Did the anaesthetist give you a block injection alongside the general? Perhaps it's still wearing off. I would ring your GP or the hospital to check it out. Do you have anyone to help you in your recovery? Keep us informed of your progress.
  • Posted

So sorry to hear of your pain,  When I had my first bunion surgery 14 years ago my surgeon said I shouldn't (and indeed coudn't) walk at all for 2 weeks and I had to crawl everywhere.I actually bought some knee pads so I could crawl on my knees. It was realy hard but in the end the result was excellent, so hang in there!
  • Posted

Hi Hells300

I was also told to do heel walking but I couldn't do it. The doctor also advised walking on the outer side of my feet which felt better. I was also told to wear the soft shoe whenever I'm walking but to tell you the truth we have deep soft carpeting in our house so I did do that for the first few days but then just started walking without them. Felt soooo much better. I think it just depends on what kind of flooring you have. Don't over do things. You must rest and raise your legs. If this doesn't help ring the hospital and let them know what's going on and how you're feeling before it gets worse. Let us  know how you get on please.

• Posted

The only place you are going this week is bathroom and then back to rest. Your description is exactly the same as how I was.

Rest and do absolutely nothing no matter how boring that is.

• Posted

Thanks alot guys for your replys, it's day 4 now and can move my feet a bit more, so I'm going to give it 2 more days to see if I can heel walk, quick question should I be wiggling my toes? Because I haven't ever since surgery

Thanks guys.

• Posted

I don't think you should heel walk - I think you should be doing a flat shuffle.

Out the ends of your bandages you'll see your toes poking out, ok a little bruised (!) but should be pink and healthy. A gentle wiggle won't hurt but don't do any stretches or manipulation.

• Posted

Good to hear that you are getting a bit more movement in your ankles. I hope you continue to improve steadily and rest up as much as possible. I know the shoes are awkward to walk in, but just think of the work out they are giving to your calf muscles, not to mention the gluteus maximas  ;-)

I was advised to use the shoes at all times when up on my feet; not only to keep the weight off the joints but to make sure you don't push off from the toes as we do normally. The only time I stand on my feet without the shoes on is when getting into the shower, and then I am on my heels and outer sides of my feet momentarily as I have a shower seat. 

Wishing everyone a speedy recovery :-)

• Posted

After my first day of my surgery which was last year. I felt pain at the bandages area.

Luckily at the time, the surgeon made a round check in the ward and I told him and he opened the bandage and folded again. The swelling from the surgery might caused it to be painful.

• Posted

I don't heel walk at all as I took this to be what young kiddies do

and couldn't imagine walking like that, so from the off I walked

flat footed at my own pace and always with my surgical shoes

on and using my crutches.

• Posted

I agree with misskh, maybe tilted slightly off big toe joint but found it much easier to walk. 
  • Posted

Walking on your heels while using crutches would be extremely hard. Didn't your surgeon give you weight-bearing boots to wear for six weeks which takes the pressure of the ball of your foot and toes? I wore mine for six weeks 24/7 which took pressure off my foot. Good luck!
  • Posted

Its best you contact your surgeon letting him see your foot. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.