Can't walk or stand because of excruciating thigh pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys,

I'm brand new and in bits.

I'm a 63 year old retired male who up until 7 days ago, walked 5 miles a day and felt fine apart from my SI joint pain. The SI joint is in the lumbar region and is a load bearing joint between the spine and the pelvis I believe. My SI joint seems to pop out of place now and then and when it does I can't do anything for several days. I also have arthritis in my hip and lower back which aches but never stopped me doing my exercises. The last time the SI joint went off was 3 months ago. After learning physio stretches I thought I had solved this problem and all was going well.

Until last Sunday that is. I awoke feeling a bit achy as the day before I had walked faster than normal to meet an appointment after I realised I might be late. However, once i walked a few steps I had this excruciating pain shoot down from my back into my right thigh and knee. I tried to walk it off but even standing was agony. The only relieve was from lying flat on my back. Since then, it's actually got worse. If the pain scale for worst pain ever is 100, then this pain is 100. It feels as though my thigh is going to break or explode. The back and knee pain is bad but nothing like the thigh pain.

I can't believe this is normal for Sciatica sufferers but after visiting here, I can see it may well be.

On Monday I somehow managed to crawl to the Doctors. I got half way step by step and thought I was going to collapse. I don't know how I got there, it was so bad. At one point I was hunched over a wheelie bin, which strangely gave me some relief. Once there they gave me Diazipam, Naproxen & Omeprazole to reduce the stomach effects of the Naproxen. None has worked. I'm in agony, unless lying down. I consider myself a big strong lad, but I'm not afraid to admit that I have cried with frustration at how the pain as completely changed my life. I now spend my days lying flat in bed or hunched over my bin before trying some more agonising steps.

I am now praying for some miracle cure, which sadly I don't really believe in. So I humbly ask for your experiences if similar and what you do to alleviate the pain?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

about six weeks ago I had something similar happened to me. I started getting really tight in my right glute/piriformis area then escalated quickly to excruciating pain in my hamstrings down my calves into my toes. I ended up getting an MRI, which is the main thing that you need to figure out what is causing the pain. I had an L5 S1 extreme herniation that was impinging on my S1 nerve root, which was causing all of the sciatic and shooting pains down my right leg. The pain was so excruciating I could not walk or sit or stand. The only thing that I could do for four weeks was lay on my stomach or back. I recently had a lumbar discectomy surgery. I am two weeks postop. Everyone’s recovery is different but right when I got out of surgery my pain was gone. Due to the nerve being compressed for so long it is a longer recovery and symptoms are different every day with recovery, but I am hoping that this was the right decision to get back to a healthy life.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing Keyley. I am currently experiencing all the symptoms you I also have a herniated disk pressuring the nerve. I'm glad your pain is gone.

Can you please give in update in how you are feeling. Im thinking about getting same surgery.

• Posted

How are you now Wakeywakey? I've just joined this forum and did a search for excruciating pain because that's the only way i can describe this hellish condition, and your post came up. I hope you're better now, your trip to the docs sounds horrendous. This awful thing has made me freeze in public unable to move before today and it happened again at home yesterday 😦 I've never felt pain like it in my life.

• Posted

i am similar ...6 weeks.... trying to push myself to keep up sports.... stopped tennis due to lunging and running but playing some golf... walking on hard pavement the worst.... on grass easier but still painful... taking aleve, doing exercises, going to pt, icing and hot showers...

still bad pain. i hoping it goes away. it debilitating. going to a pain mangement dr this week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.