Can taking a higher dosage of Amitriptyline cause side effects?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hello,

I have been prescribed Amitriptyline for around four weeks, starting at 10mg each day for a week, and then upping the dose by 10mg each week. So 20mg for the second week, 30mg for the third week etc.

I'm taking this type of medication as I suffer with chronic tension headaches and migraines.

I had a check-up with my doctor and explained that the drugs were working very well, since I had not suffered with any type of headache for the duration that I had been taking the drug. He prescribed me a 50mg single tablet and said to go forth and take this tablet, and use 10mg's to up the dosage if I felt I needed to.

Since taking the 50mg tablet, I've been feeling very tired. Heavy eyelids and slower reactions. I have never suffered with side-effects from any drug, only an allergic reaction to Triptan drugs, so I have no idea what I am experiencing.

This has continued for two days I thought I would take the tablet for a second day as I could have just been tired, but during the second day I managed to sleep for 6 hours through the day, and a full 8 hours during the night and can not control this well whilst taking the tablet.

Today I did not take the tablet and I felt great again, although suffering with a tension headache that I've had since starting the 50mg. I have taken today's tablet around 20 minutes ago and feel tired yet again.

Is this common?.. should I be experiencing effects when using a higher dosage but no effects when on a lower dosage? This does not make sense to me.

Thank you for reading.

Sarah

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Sarah, AMITRYPTALINE is a very powerful & addictive drug& you must use causiously. It is a very heavy & sleep inducing drug & you live life in a trance.

I used the drug because I was so ill, but , when I was bett I came of it immediately.

It is a very dangerous drug to be on so take care.

Jackie

• Posted

Hello AMITRYPTALINE is a very heavy DRUG & will cause you to be tired all the time. I was on this pill for about 38yrs approx & I felt it was a very good DRUG but, at the same time I felt as though I ws losing out on my life by wishing to sleep so much.

Yes it is very good for headaches , tension, anxiety, depression etc but, the side effects come with taking the pill. Even when my pills were reduced eventually to 10mg over the last few years I still felt very tired at times, especially mornings I found it quite difficult to wwake up at times.

I hope this helps you, but my advice to you is ask your DOCTOR to put you onto another pill as this particular pill is so ADDICTIVE.

Jackie

• Posted

Hmm, you paint a dark picture indeed.

Doctor has put me on these, but I've not taken them yet. I've been prescribed them for sciatic pain and mild anxiety. It was either these, or gabapentin, which I didn't want since my friend harmed himself on them.

Think I'll give them a miss.

• Posted

My Question is a bit different. I take Amitriptyline 150 mg,7.5 mg Zopiclone, Maximum Dose Bupropion, & 2 Tylenol 3 every night all for pain, chronic depression, anxiety disorder, insomnia, & to boost my antidepressant. That has been the same cocktail @ HS with the exception of the Bupropion, was taking the maximum dose of Paxil, but by a "miracle" a boyfriend after 10 yrs. Paxil & most all Antidepressants have sexual side effects, while I was single for so long it didn't make a difference 1 way or the other. But Now the sexual side effects are a problem. So the Bupropion allows me to achieve orgasms, & I have drastically cut my smoking from a pack a day to 4-5 cigarettes a day. My emotions aren't dulled like they were on Paxil, I'm also headlong into Perimenopause, but I'm extremely reactive, my emotions are sharp. I'm finding my cocktail for sleep isn't effective like it used to be, & I can have orgasms but @ the cost of being an emotional b***h!! I was wanting to know if anyone has had a dose of Amitriptyline higher than 150 mg.??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.