Can taking prebiotic tablets bring on diverticulitis flare up

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, i was diagnosed with diverticulitis last May and foolishly turned down the opportunity of a follow up. Now I am having niggling pains, nausea and loose stools. I started taking prebiotics a little while ago and just wondered if these could have caused the condition I find myself in. I will see the doc if possible tomorrow and ask if in fact it is diverticulitis i have or could it be cancer of the bowel. Is there a foolproof test for diverticular disease does anyone know?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I hope you feel better soon. I think both a CT scan with contrast and/or colonoscopy are the best ways to determine diverticuliti. I had a resection in may after 18 months of hell with diverticulitis flares. Let me know if you have any questions. I'll do my best to answer or someone else will surely answer for you. This is a great group to belong to.

• Posted

I think the only way they can determine what is going on is by a camera put inside you thats how they found out I had it in the small bowel

• Posted

H Bianca. I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis about 2 years ago. I was having a batch of tests and when the Colonoscopy found it. I was taking probiotics for years and it just friendly bacteria.

I am a Qualified Herbal Practitioner now and haven't come across any evidence that Diverticuli /Diverticulitis is caused by them. The main instigator is lifestyle factors. Poor diet with lack of fiber. Alcohol and smoking, not enough fruit and veg etc. I have to take a high fiber supplement everyday now to stop the further growth of the protruding pockets in the bowel. They can turn cancerous, but so can any other part of your body. If you are worried get your G.P. to refer you to a Gastroenterologist. In the mean time, look after yourself. Good luck

• Posted

Hi there, I disagree with some of Bianca's statements. I have led a VERY healthy lifestyle all my life, never been constipated, own a health food store, always active, never eaten fast food etc, etc. Sooo there are some people who are genetically predisposed to this condition. This is a considered fact. My 93 year old father is an example of this. Same healthy lifestyle as myself yet has suffered with this disease also. I have never, ever been told that diverticulitis/diverticuli could or would become cancerous. Polyps yes. Not diverticuli. If this were the case myself and my father would be long dead.

• Posted

sorry sandiishealthy I never made any statements but just asked a question. please look back at my original post. having a diabetic type 1 husband i think our diet is very healthy but have suffered with constipation for more years than i can remember. about 25 years ago i was in a very stressful situation and a private doctor diagnosed ulcerative colitis fir which he prescribed a medication that worked like magic. so you can see bowels have always been my problem. i have appointment with doctor this morning to see if condition really has returned and what to do in future. Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.