Can TCP react with any materials? Particularly rubber bath mats?

Posted , 3 users are following.

So this is probably an odd question but I have OCD and panic/worry about probably impossible scenarios, but I can't stop worrying despite trying to rationalize.

Anyway, I wanted to give the soles of my feet an extra clean by pouring some TCP on the bath mat to step on before I showered. I feel like logically the strong smell was from the amount of TCP used and that most logically caused the mild headache and slight burning in my throat, also probably combined with my anxiety.

But I'm worried the TCP could have reacted with the mat and produced a carcinogen or other toxin that I could have inhaled from the air and was in contact with my feet and then hands when I removed the bath mat later. Is this possible at all?

I googled to check and feel like if it was there would be a warning, but like I said I worry about these possibilities.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

How on earth could TCP harm you? I'm no dr or medical person, but TCP is a bit like a disinfectant, it doesnt react with a rubber bath mat, so youre quite safe.

• Posted

Hi I agree with vickylou that TCP on a bath mat can't possibly harm you. Generally with tcp as it is quite strong you need to dilute it before you use it. It is good (diluted) for gargling if you have a sore throat. I once had a killer one but a few hours after I gargled with tcp it was gone. Amazing.

However none of my family can bear tcp or the smell of it as both our parents loved it and used it regularly. There are a lot nicer smelling disinfectants around now which are just as good and tcp is a very old fashioned one. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.