can teeth be the problem

Posted , 7 users are following.

i'm sitting here with a finger on my tooth which seems to stop the pain which is why there are no capitals. i have had tn for 25 years with periods of remissission but this time i cannot seem to get it under control with 600mg of tegretol and lyrica. if its the tooth maybe panadol may be the answer but i fear not.i am 78 and lucky to be alive still i suppose. has anyone tried that device that is advertised on the net nanobrovnic or something, i bet its rubbish.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Grex

I know exactly what you're going through, especially with the tooth.

Ive had TN for over twenty years and started off with Tegretol. But when I retired I suddenly had six years remission and last year it returned. This time Tegretol didn't work. So after a trial of other medication, along with bad side effects, I had to come off them. Then finally I was ok with Pregablin.

My history was 9months pain and then 9 months remission. Only this time it was only roughly 4-5 months remission. So I went back in Pregabalin but I'm now having problems with the increase in dosage. I've got what feels like a lower right jaw full of toothaches. I tried increasing the dosage but started to get side effects so I had to go back to the dosage I was on. At the moment I have what feels like constant toothache.

Have you tried increasing your dosage of 600mg?. I was on 1200mg a day.

I personally haven't heard of the device that is advertised. I guess I'm used to taking medication now.

Were you ever referred to a Neurologist?

kind regards

Gloriana

• Posted

Hi gloriana,

Thanks for replying. I had my teeth xrayed and, as I thought, all okay. The anethsetic jab gave me a few hours relief. I'm a bit wary about increasing the dose and last time I did that it didn't make much difference, just made me ill, also my kidney ( I've only got one) isn't too good. I've seen three neurologists who told me to keep taking the tablets. I'm totally deaf in the left ear which is why they don't recommend surgery. 6 years remission is a long time I bet you were very upset when it returned. I'm picking up some cream that numbs the skin. It's on prescription and has to be ordered so I'll give that a go.

Cheers/

Grex

• Posted

Oh, I forgot to say, I went to my dentist anyway to double check my teeth were OK. He took an X-ray and said everything was fine. So it's not necessarily tooth related. But it wouldn't hurt to get your problem tooth checked out anyway.

Good luck.

Gloriana

• Posted

A lot of times it feels like it's my teeth too. Sometimes feels like a toothache on the top or bottom right. Sometimes it feels like I have loose teeth that when I bite down the roots hit the inside of my gums and sometimes it feels like I had those teeth pulled and I just have a hole where the tooth was with exposed gums that hurt with every step and every breath. I've too gone to the dentist and was actually bummed that my teeth are fine. What device did you see? I'm currently not taking anything as the side effects were too much for me.
    • Posted

Yes, I still feel it's my teeth that are the problem When I push hard against them the pain goes away for a while. The device is on the internet and I don't think I should be advertising it. I'm surprised you haven't seen it. Just Google trigeminal neuralgia and I think it comes up.
    • Posted

I think I know the device you mean. One of my friends was talking about it about a year ago to use on her back problem. Hang on, I'll log into Facebook and ask her if she remembers. I'll get back to you after that.
    • Posted

Ah! She got back to me very fast.

Maybe you mean the TENS machine?

• Posted

Hi Grex,so sorry you are suffering,we all feel your pain and frustration! This "tooth pain" is not coming from your teeth even if it feels so it's a phantom toothache,that is not to say don't get your teeth checked out.Google atypical odontalgia or ask here.Red has posted a very good post on the subject whiich may interest you. Best wishes for the New Year!
  • Posted

Anybody who suffering with TN ever happened like this or no?

- I so scared to go to sleep because if there is no activity in my mouth for 1 hour (i.e. Moving my tongue, moving my jaw like when I'm talking), then I move my tongue, I will get a painful electric-shock sensation around the tooth and gum. So the trigger of the pain is my tongue's movement if there is no activity in my mouth.

- The painful electric-shock is ONLY on my gums around the chipped tooth (bottom-right, next to the wisdom tooth that got extracted). Those pain NEVER hit my face (never hit ear, eye, lips, nose, scalp, forehead, cheeks, mouth, or jaw).

- I can go to sleep without any pain at night, but I try to avoid because I got very scared with the pain that I have to deal with when I wake up in the morning.

I went to 2 different dentist for the last 1 week, and had 2 different x-ray and examination from the same tooth. Both dentist said that I have an inflammation gum near the that tooth. Both tell me that it is not TN but just the gum got infected. So I did a root canal yesterday. Now I still feel the same pain. My dentist said that the nerve near that got injured from the gum infection and need more time to get fully recovery.

What do you think guys? please give me any advice because I still confuse and very scared if I really get TN.

- What wrong with my gum or nerve?

- If there is no activity in my mouth, I have to deal with the painful electric-shock. If I have a lot of activity, I don't have any pain. Why?

- Am I having Trigeminal neuralgia or something else?

- What should I do the get fully recovery?

• Posted

sometimes I get this also if i sit too long without moving my mouth. I must seem quite batty when I  talk to myself to keep things moving when I'm out but I usually just it when I am at home.

Only a neurologist can tell you for sure but go quickly. If it is Tn, it will get worse and the sooner you get help, the better the outcome

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.