Can the effects of sertraline decrease over time?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been taking Sertraline for several months for anxiety and depression. I started 25mg to build up to 50mg, and then 75mg to build up to 100mg which is what I currently take. I honestly felt like sertraline changed my life, I became the happy, fun, bubbly, energetic person I used to be. However recently, I have began to feel the depression and anxiety worsen - not wanting to go out and do things, tearful, over-thinking - you know the drill. 

Is it possible for Sertraline to become less effective? I know a lot of people try different medication to find one that works for them - is this a sign I should try something else? Or is it a case of increasing the dose?

When I went up to 100mg I did notice I began to feel a bit lightheaded and not 100% with it all the time, so I'm not sure I'm too keen on increasing my dosage anymore. I'm 23 for reference. Thanks for any advice

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

When you was on the lower dose did you feel better??

Because maybe the high dose of 100mg is too much for you and causing the depression, or you could be going through a blip that most people suffer and say lasts around 1 week. I'm not a medic or anything this is just from experience. If you have only been down a few days try and ride it out , could be a blip?

All the best xx

• Posted

I have heard people say that this sometimes happens. I'm on 100mg I went to 150mg and I was worse with anxiety than i have ever been. so maybe stick with 75mg maybe it's a blip, just give it a few more days sometimes I might have a bad day or two. But if you are not getting any better go back to docs. Good luck xx

• Posted

Hi, how long have you been taking 100?

Each time i upped i had side effects for 3 weeks...worse anxiety, dizziness, no motivation. But ive also heard of people whove been happily on a certain dose for a while and its stopped being effective and theyve had to up the dose. Im now on 150 and once again it took 3 weeks to settle on it and now its working pretty well. I still have the odd rubbish anxiety day but not as extreme as it was 4 months ago. Good luck finding the right dose for you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.