Can they really force me back into work?

Posted , 3 users are following.

sorry for the long one.so I've just had my annual six months later because I'm on income support now stating that I am going back into work and they've given me a lady that I've never even met let alone spoke to over the phone when I had an agreement set up because of my mental health issues that I see one particular man at a certain job centre which they changed it completely which they never stuck to , I spoke to them on the phone ended up having a breakdown because I can't leave my house without having someone with me due to physical and mental health issues let lone see someone or go to some were I have never been to yet they're planning on making me go back to work all they've done is changed the date and time and place of meeting just so that im around staff that have known me for a very long time incase of a break down as they no how to help me but surely they cannot force me back into work ?? I was under the impression by the man I would normally see I will be getting transered over to esa income based as he said well go into it more when I saw him.next as it will be my last meeting before my youngest turns 5 and my income support stops which now it doesn't feel like that is going to happen and it's causing me to panic. I now have no idea what to expect so I can't even prepare myself for the meeting and if I don't go they're going to cut my income support payment in half I'm at my wits end with this and they're not really taking my health into consideration apart from changing where the meeting is. any ideas on what I can expect to happen at this meeting ?I would have thought due to the fact that I not only get PIP ,ot's involved I've had adult social services involved because of my problems that I wouldn't even had to go through this. and that my old advisor I was going to sort everything for me.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I'm assuming the reasons why you're claiming Income Support is because you have a child under 5 yes? Are you a single parent or do you live with a partner? If you live with a partner do they claim Carers Allowance for looking after you? Sorry for the questions but you'll need to answer these before i can help you further, i'll gladly advise you once these have been answered.

• Posted

yeah I claim Income Support because that's what I told her I had to claim because I had a child under 5 single parent I know no one claims carer's for me I get the disability premium rate on top of my income support

• Posted

As you know, your Income Support will end once your child reaches 5 because you'll no longer be entitled to it. You won't automatically be switched to any other benefit, you'll have to claim it. However, if your area is a full Universal credit area and you don't have anymore than 2 children then you'll have to claim UC and not ESA or JSA. Check your area by google searching UC postcode checker (links can't be posted here) and it will tell you exactly what's in your area.

If it's UC then your housing benefit will transfer across as well and you'll lose all your disability premiums that you're claiming on Income Support, i'm afraid because they're not payable on UC.

You can claim UC with a sick/fit note from your GP but this won't automatically exclude you from the job searches. It will totally depend on your work coach.

I really hope your area isn't a full UC area, if it is and you have no more than 2 children then i'll happily help you with any other questions you have.

• Posted

my area isn't full uc area and I have 3 kids two of which have been deemed as young carers

• Posted

Then you'll need to claim Income Related ESA but you'll need fit/sick notes from your GP, evidence to support your claim. A face to face assessment will most likely be needed eventually as most people have them. Claiming PIP doesn't automatically entitle you to Limited capability for work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.