Can this also be my IBS?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hiya

I've been diagnosed with IBS since the start of the year!! I've noticed not a certain set or type of food can trigger it. Has anyone else had this as well?

Also o was just wondering for about 3 months now I've ha really bad pains in my ribs, could this also be part of the IBS or?

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well if it makes you feel better I've had ct, MRI, colonoscopy, endoscopy, tons of bloods and stool samples and ultrasounds! Nothing shows up! I have researched so much over last 6 years and seems to be a lot of us with this pain that's undiagnosed! I worry about my pancreas as that's easily missed on tests on early stages so I question the reliability of the tests I've had done. Just ruining my life if I'm honest! I'm only 33 with 3 children and I spend more time on internet trying to get answers and joining groups about pancreas, gastritis,ibs than I do playing with them and enjoying them!
    • Posted

Wow you've had a lot looked at!! I actually feel you about it ruining your life I've haven't been at work for the past 3 months because of it, that means 3 months of no wages, then cause I'm only young I should be going out and enjoying things with my Friends which I can't do. Awww, it's so hard having to deal with illnesses and trying to find out what's wrong when you have children!! I'm only 18 but I honestly don't feel like a normal 18 year old!!
    • Posted

It's horrible. I hope you get some answers too you should be enjoying life! We both should be!
    • Posted

Hi there   your experiance sounds identical to me had so many teste I have lost count and camera's in every avaiable entry point but they all come back negative I sympathise with you being only 33 at least I am the other end  71 and had mostly good health but this IBS really brings yiuy down dosent it   I have cut out all Gluten as far as possible Bread cakes Porridge , Pasta etc  choosing the Non Gluten ones  and there are now some quite acceptable ones  out there   Does it affect your sleep as well   does for me and I think the Docs get fed up with trying to answer our questions because I dont think they have many answer either I went to St Marks Hosp in London and htey are one of the main peopl for Gut problems   they did suggest Hypnotherapy   but I am not a suitable candidate wondering if you have had anything like it   ?  Cheers 
    • Posted

Hi no I haven't but I would try it if I thought it could help! I'd try anything! Did think of acupuncture too. It's so frustrating not knowing I wish I could just hire a doctor to get to the bottom of this for me and sort me out! My gps think I'm crazy I'm sure!! Just can't get the worry of it being my pancreas out of my head!
  • Posted

For anyone in this discussion if IBS or symptoms of IBS effect your day to day life as in not been able to work or be in any pain I'd go to your doctor or A&E if it's really. That's saying if you already haven't done this. You shouldn't have to lead your life like this the worry alone will make your IBS worse
  • Posted

Hi Sharnn,

Just read your post and can relate to your symptoms as I also get bad pain in my ribs on both sides, sometimes it feels like they are in a vice. I also get pain and stiffness in my right shoulder which starts to come on in the evening, getting worse as the night progresses.

At the moment I am suffering a really bad flare up of diarrhea, it's never been this bad before, I've had it 4 weeks and have tried immodium, kaolin and morphine, mebervine and silicol gel. Nothing works. Now I've started having "accidents", luckily only at home. I get very little warning, it even happened in bed and I knew nothing about it! It's just like water most of the time. I am due to go on a coach holiday on Saturday and really considered cancelling it.frown Instead I have ordered incontinence pads, pants and waterproof pants!! Has anyone else had this happen and if so, how do you cope? I am seeing my GP tomorrow to see if he can give me something I haven't tried.

I do hope your pain eases off sharnn with the help of painkillers, unfortunately it will recur in the future. I find this site so helpful and reassuring when we can compare our symptoms and share our concerns, have a good moan and (hopefully) help others. Take care and be kind to yourself.

niz

• Posted

Hi Niz,

You sound like your IBS is being a nightmare! I really hope your GP has a solution for you! I find this site really helpful for having a moan too. I don't have any real advice for you unfortunately, apart from perhaps white bread can help-I have IBS-C and it really makes me unable to go. It also used to be what my family ate to try and ease diarrhoea. Yogurt is also supposed to be helpful for diarrhoea, but ease back on all other dairy.

Good luck with the holiday xx

• Posted

Hi. Pain in rib area is common in IBS. Caused partly by gas in stomach and also by tightening in rib area due to worry about pain!! All a vicious circle. The last thing you feel like doing is taking some deep slow breaths but it does help. As for foods that trigger IBS again they may be some foods but basically it's more how you are feeling mentally because anything can affect you if you are feeling particularly stressy that day whereas on a day when you are feeling calmer and nicely distracted by something you can eat most things without problems. IBS is largely a mind game with physical symptoms. I find it helps a bit to tell myself that it will pass, it is not life threatening although very painful and that I can cope. All the best
    • Posted

Why is my pain always left sided? Never right! Always in my left rib that's why I panic it's more than ibs!
    • Posted

I get pain on both sides with my IBS, but generally on one particular side. IBS is different for everyone. The only thing I can suggest for you is to put something warm on the area causing pain, as this is great for wind. Wheat bags or hot water bottles are great for this. Also those heat patches you can buy in chemists help if you need to be away from home and want to be discrete. Maybe try treating it like period pain. xx
  • Posted

hi i have got ibs and i find different food that dont help with my ibs have you found that as well

• Posted

Yup. There are always trigger foods. You find out what they are for you over time by taking notice of what you eat and how you feel, then learn to avoid eating too much of them. xx
  • Posted

I got diagnosed with IBS in May after three months of tests and constant panic.  I developed it as a result of a dodgy blood test from a so called Healthcare Assistant last December which left me in severe pain for three months. When I complained to the Practice Nurse she laughed at my concerns.  Three months later, my stomach pains began.

I posted a picture of what the nurse did to me online along with a rude Limerick satirising her incompetence.

Last year, I also developed Costochondritis (rib cage pain) after a chiropractor and masseuse got to work on me.  But I have also had this pain with IBS.  Luckily, food doesn't affect me; only stress brings it on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.