Can this be kidney failure?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys, this is my first post and have a big concern. So apologies if this does not belong here. For the past couple of years I have had a massive problem of almost fainting during exercise, this happened 1 week ago again and I have been left exhausted since then. My limbs feel extremely weak and I am constantly tired, as if I haven't had much sleep. I was at the doctors a couple of weeks ago, due to having trouble urinating but a urine test and blood test came back normal ( well I was told no further action was required). My urine Is pretty dark and foamy every single morning but it's clear the rest of the day ( really clear!). My blood pressure seems to be on the higher side too, everytime I have been to the doctors or hospital its high! I am sure it was 167/ 80 at one point, but dipped down to 137/80 a few mins later. I was at the doctors office last week aswell and blood pressure was 130/80 and he said it was normal which I know is high. I honestly feel as if I have had the flu and feel achey all over at times. I have countless of blood tests done over the past couple of years and the only thing that came back was low calcium and my kidney function was slightly below normal, but came back up the following blood test. Was a slight amount of urea in my blood. This is when all the problems started tbh. I don't know what to do now as the past few blood tests I have had (standard NHS tests) most of came back normal. Would something like a kidney problem show up on a standard test? Due to being with the NHS you can't request further testing unless there is something wrong, although I have been put forward for further investigations, but who knows when that will happen. I should note I am on the heavy side, 106kg (233lbs) but I do powerlifting and have a lot of muscle on my frame. Don't take steroids or anything illegal. I am just stuck on what to do now! Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Any advice would be much appreciated though.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Thomas

It sounds really good that tests so far haven''t shown anything up but I think you must t ell your gp all you have written here if you haven't already. It does sound as though perhaps you have a  kidney problem but lack of sleep may be responsible for the achy muscles. This would be worth discussing with your Dr, you could always try some herbal sleeping things forst to see if that helps.

• Posted

Thomas, as Carol has said the fact that all your blood tests are coming back normal is certainly good news.

Your urine is probably dark in the morning because you have been many hours without drinking.  If you wake up naturally at any time during the night, then try drinking some water so that your urine is more diluted the following morning.

I don't know where you get the idea from that a blood pressure reading of 130/80 is high - I think you should trust the Dr he when he says it is normal.

Are you sure you aren't doing too much powerlifting?  You may just be bringing the exhaustions and fainting episodes on yourself, and putting too much strain on your limbs and the rest of your body.  Try swapping  such strenuous exercise for a while in favour of health walking, swimming or cycling and see if you feel better. 

• Posted

Hi,

I would agree with the ladies, if you had kidney issues then it would certainly show up in your tests.  Regarding you high BP reading when you first arrive at the doctors you would of been moving about more than just if you were sitting down, also there is something called white coat hypertension.  Ideally BP should be around 120/65 so like Mrs O says yours is not worryingly high.  You could have a virus that is making you feel the way you describe, sometimes there  are certain viruses that once you have them never actually go.  If you don't feel well you need to discuss with your doctor what possible other causes there are.

• Posted

Hi Thomas,

I guess its a delayed reply, yet.. 

The ways you could be sure if your kidneys are not functioning normally are:

1. A constant rise from your baseline blood pressure.

2. Diabetics are usually prone for CKD, so if you are one, please make sure blood sugars are not at the rise. This has to be all readings (e.g. FBS, PPBS, pre and post lunch, and pre and post dinner readings, at least 9 readings a month through Accu-Check).

3. A rise in creatinine levels.

4. A decline in GFR.

5. A rise in BUN.

6. Proteinuria/microalbuminuria on urinalysis.

7. A rise in serum potassium sometimes.

8. Lower extremity pitting edema.

9. Decline in amount of urine.

10. A sudden rise in weight (indicates volume overload).

Have you undergone the same tests and did the results turn back out of range?

My mom is recently diagnosed of CKD III, so we get these routinely and am a nurse too.

Any amount of weight reduciton also aids in good health :-) You know that already.

Hope this helps in some way.

Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.