Can this happen twice to one person??

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am looking for advice and help.  I had my microvasular surgery August 31, 2013 and have been twitch free on the right side of my face ever since.  I have noticed over the past 3 months that I am noticing the same beginning twitches again, but this time on my left side.  Is it possible that this could be happening to me again???  I have a call into my neurosurgeon and they are possibly going to order an MRI....could this really be a horrible possibility?  Has anyone out there ever heard of this happening on both sides??  Last thing I want to do is go through that surgery again, even though it worked wonders.  But I also don't want to have my face back to twitching uncontrollably again.....thoughts?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Erin22503, 

So sorry to hear that you are getting the symptoms on the contra side after MVD for the bad side so soon, but I have read about recurrance in all the readups online. And yes, I am aware MVD is available in some places in USA, but I have also read about the no-guarantee-it-wont-recur fact.

In my own experiments head back, good neck curvature stops the twitching. Head down and forward is bad.

Maybe I will go to Sarawak and have neck rings like the Karens! 

Or take up a job painting ceilings. Take care.

• Posted

Hi Erin.  So sorry to hear of this renewed twitching on the other side.  Just to say, I also get the occasional twitches on the other side but they usually go away as quickly as they've come, and they come when I am tired or stressed.  It is possible to get a second compression but quite rare I believe.  Try not to panic, but best to just get it checked out?  All best to you. 
    • Posted

I hope thats all It Is as well. I hve been keeping tabs on It for about 3 mths now. It feels just Iike It did w/ the other side. Idk. Only time will tell. Thank you for responding!
  • Posted

Hi Erin

I have had spasms on my right side which started 10 years ago; I am having the operation around March.  I have had the odd twitching on my left side also, approx 4 times a year over the past 4 years. Lately it has progressed so yes I'm also worried.  I'm about to go for another MRI and BAER scan/test next week so I will be asking about it and will let you know. It's so upsetting I know when you think you're cured and then you get knocked back.  Take care

Suzi

• Posted

Good luck to u!! I am still Waiting to find out Whn they are wanting to do my scan. I really hope its just me being way over sensitive to any movement at all in my face. And if your symptoms now are anything like mine were, you will never regret the surgery! Yes is terrifying to think of what they will be doing, but the end result is your confidence and your life back!! Good luck!! :-)
  • Posted

Hi Erin,

I'm not qualified to provide hard statistical data about the likeilhood of this happening to you on both sides of your face, but like most people, I'd imagine that this would be very unlikely. What I do think is helpful, however, is to recognise the peculiar ( but largely good!) position you are in subsequent to having the MVD. It can be a kind of limbo where you really don't know if/ believe that this condition has been sorted. In s

• Posted

sorry Erin. My computer is determined not to let me post this morning. think I was going to say that after MVD its possible that you become particularly sensitive to each tremor and flutter or movement of the face and this may appear to be return of the spasms. Getting things checked out, if you are in a position to do so, would be great, but as far as I know the road to recovery can be uneven and bumpy. 10 months on from my MVD, and I sometimes get strange pulling on the other side of my face to where my HFS was operating. In my optimism, I attribute these to the vagaries of the healing process, and try not to think that the whole process is starting over again on the opposite side of me mush.

Stay open minded and proactive. Wishing you continuing recovery and hope that this is just the final counterattack of a defeated HFS

Ed

• Posted

Hi Ed and Erin.  Just to say.....................    I agree wholeheartedly with everything Ed has written above.  I am 18 months post surgery and still get the occasional flutter on both sides of my face, and I sometimes get a few strange pains around the area of the incision.  It is worth getting checked out if it worries you, but I have the same attitude as Ed in respect of it all being part of the healing process.  Take care and hope it all settles very soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.