Can this really be costochondritis?

Posted , 4 users are following.

After multiple tests I was diagnosed with IBS, mild gastritis and reflux about 3 months ago. 2 weeks ago I started to get pain in just one rib on my right side just above my right breast. The rib feels a bit swollen (well when I gently feel along it, it definately sits outwards more then the same rib on the left side). The pain is just at the beginning of the rib, just off of the sternum. Some times I notice the pain isn't there but it is there more often then not and the pain is mostly noticed when using my arm of when pressing on the tender spot. Some times the pain is more severe and I can feel it along the whole rib, towards my arm pits, shoulders and sometimes even in my breasts. I always thought it had something to do with my reflux but 3 doctors have told me it is costocondritis. I have had 2 chest x rays and many ECGs and all clear. I don't get pain on my left side really, which my research says that's where it is most common. Does anyone have similar to me on the right side rather then the left?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am very small in size (size 6) so also wonder if that is why the inflammation of my rib is noticebable by touch. I have heard it is normal for the rib to be a little inflamed but maybe I notice it more because my ribs are visible and very prominent when touched anyway because of the size of me. Could I be right?
  • Posted

So sorry you are going through this. I have pain on both sides at times. Have you tried arnica gel? its all natural. Soft ice packs help as well as advil or Neurontin(From my dr) I am grateful for this site so we can all hare our stories and help each other. I was also disgnosed with Fibro Myalgia. Have ruled out all Rheumatological diseases Thank God. Lots of blood work and tests. Thank God this condition is not life threatening. There are also some exercises u can do to help if your up to it. Hang in there!!!! Stay positive. and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions to your dr. smile

• Posted

In addition to the ribcage pain, does anyone else have pain behind their breast and rib area when they take a deep breath?
  • Posted

Hi, After having a really, really bad head/chest cold with a bad cough, that last for a month, i was diagnosed with Costocondritis. I had pain mostly on my right side, underneath my breast. And also pressure in my sternum...that was almost the worst thing to me, the constant feeling of pressure. I also experienced pain when taking a deep breath sometimes.

I also had what seemed to be silent reflux (I went to the Dr for that but he said its a hard thing to diagnose for sure and I left still not knowing if I had it or not).

Anyways..... These things lingered for awhile but eventually they all disappeared. Now every once and awhile I'll get a weird pang or something that reminds me of that brief but nightmarish time in my life and I just assumed it's related in some way, try not to worry, and move on.

I am just getting over another severe head/chest cold with cough and I was so worried I'd get all the same costo symptoms but I didn't. Although I do have a pain in the left side of my back right by my ribs that won't go away and it's got me concerned. I hadn't really considered costo in this case because I never had it in that spot before .. upper back, by shoulder blades, yes, most definitely, but not in this spot.

Sigh, idk. It's always something.

But anyways, all the other things went away for me so I'm thankful for that because I know that doesn't seem to be the case for a lot of people.

P.s.

I think Costocondritis, and everything that goes with it, feeds off of anxiety...so try to stay calm.

Everything is going to be alright.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.