Can this really be IBS? Please help! soft, sloppy, mushy poo! :(

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi There, 

Following sooo many tests I have been diagnosed with mild gastritis which was diagnosed via endoscopy and my colonoscopy was clear. I have have had endless bloods taken and also a stool test and they were all clear. Following a large bout of diarrhoea and nausea about 11 weeks ago, of which my GP thought was gastro or food poisoning things have just been different. I feel I have not fully recovered. Just wondering if anyone else bowel movements can be so inconsistent. I went the first 8 weeks with water like diarrhoea only and then finally they thickened up to be harder but have never gone back to my normal. I had a few weeks recently where I thought maybe my IBS was improving as my abdominal pain/discomfort had improved but I still had bad gas and bloating when I ate. Then bam!, about a week and a half ago I started to notice I would eat well (good appetite) and I notice for one day it sat well but I was starting to bloat, but no real discomfort, then the next day no bowel movement and still feel ok discomfort wise, but would still be bloated and have gas. By late arvo on that day, I would start to get stomach aches around my belly button height and below and a burning sensation in my bum as if I need to go but didn't. I would also get a grumbling, groaning sound in my intestines. The belly aches would come and go that arvo/evening and the next morning. During the belly aches time, I noticed when I passed wind they were very warm and fowel smelling. That next morning I would have a real urge for the toilet and today for example I went and my bowel movement was sloppy and mushy but not water like. After I had finished I still had the burning sensation, as if I hadn't finished but I had.  I then ate some breakfast and not long later I had the urge to go again and this time it was more runny 'water' like diarrhoea. After this movement, I felt implied. The burning sensation went and I felt cleaned out. Today I am fairly comfortable, eating well and my belling is a little grumbly, but waiting to see if the same pattern occurs over the past few days. Does anyone experience something similar. My doctor tells me it is IBS, but my anxiety has me worried it is something more, even though I have had a colonoscopy.

I see my gastro doctor again on the 16th of this month, which is my first consult following my colonoscopy and endoscopy. She has consulted with me over the phone though to advise all my biopsies have returned clear and she gave me a report with pictures after my procedure. I am taking nexium for the gastritis/reflux and today I started Vitamin C and multi-vitamins. 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have what can only be likened to cow pat sometimes and sounds very similar to this. If so all part of IBS my Doc said.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me astrozombie. I know my story was very long winded but I am very grateful for your reply. 
    • Posted

Hello Vicki We have all been there and sometimes I still am. I used to go walking very regularly but since having a relapse, after a bereavement, I now only go to those which are close or have facilities but there is still that concern on the actual walk. I drift between many different situations from a few weeks with no loo to can't get out of the loo and I never know which day will be which. The joy of IBS eh? smile 

• Posted

Everything you have said is very normal with IBS. I can be constipated for weeks then have diarrhoea every day for weeks. Have you tried keeping a food diary?
  • Posted

Sounds like a typical IBS pattern of come and go symptoms.  Stomach infections can trigger post infectious IBS,  Worry about your symptoms is common with IBS but will cause more painful and frequent flare ups.  It is possible that your gastritis and IBS are flaring up at the same time especially since you are anxious.

Trust your doctor and your diagnosis because all your tests have been clear and IBS can only be diagnosed when nothing else shows up.  Ask your doctor for an antispasmodic and try the Fodmap diet to see if any food is causing problems.  Imodium or Codeine works well to control diarrhoea. I take OTC Buscopan and Nurofen for my IBS and they work for me.  However, you may have to try several medications to find one that suits you.

• Posted

look up BAM (bile acid mal absorption) particularly since you have the burn.  There are 36 responses so far on the BAM facebook site with suggestions as to what will stop the anus from feeling like someone hit it with a blow torch.  Plus, my poo looks different all the time -- sometimes I can believe what I'm seeing.  smile

I was diagnosed with IBS and sent home with the words eat more fiber and lower stress (yeah, right).  I do not have a gall bladder so my changes of being misdiagnosed with IBS are high.  In fact, I read 1 in 3 people are misdiagnosed with IBS instead of BAM.  The symptoms are almost the same but the burn seems to be the tell tale sign. 

I've had ever test taken without anything amiss.  I was desperate because I was trotting off to the bathroom almost as soon as the food I was eating hit my stomach.  I lost weight, had no energy and finally went to doc and said I want blood work for vit B12 & Folate and A1c (blood glucose indicator) as well as thyroid.  Found out I was low in vits and my thyroid was low plus I was dehydrated (the diarrhea thru my system way off).

Suggest blood work for the vits and other conditions I mentioned.  Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for your response Frazzled, I'm hope you are on the mend and I will look up the Facebook page. I haven't had my B12 or folate checked but have had my thyroid and Many more. I see my GP late tomorrow arvo so I will ask him to check these things for me. Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.