Can Tietze's "spread"?

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

About 7 months ago, I developed inflammation of the costal cartilage on my 2nd rib, left side. For a couple of months, it didn't hurt so I just watched it. Then in late May, the breastbone next to the 2nd rib got inflamed also, and I started to experience quite a bit of pain. I went to my primary care doctor who was concerned the inflammation may be autoimmune since it runs in my family. He ran a battery of tests (ANA, lupus, Rheumatoid factor, Lyme disease, CBC/blood chemistries) and everything came back normal/negative. So I just waited, hoping it would go away. I assumed it was Tietze's based on my symptoms and its location. Then in late July, my right collarbone around the sternoclavicular joint (where the clavicle meets the sternum) seemed inflamed. No swollen lymph nodes or fever or anything...just the bone seemed pushed up a bit, like there was inflammation below it or something. There's not much distance between the lump on my breastbone from the 2nd rib swelling to the area of the right clavicle swelling, so I was wondering whether the inflammation might have 'spread'? I read that Tietze's can occur at the 2nd/3rd rib sternocostal junctions or the sternoclavicular joint. Could it possible occur at both? I'm quite nervous.

3 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Greetings from America. I have had Tieze's Disease for 8 years now. There is still not much known about the condition. I have found with my case that the inflamation spreads throughout my enitire body. I do not know if you notice that your swelling is worse depending on the weather but mine is much worse during cold, rainy, and foggy weather. I hope this helped you. Stay strong and fight through it. 
    • Posted

Hi... I just realized that after 7 years of panicking about my chest pains I have tietz's syndrome. I even saw a cardiologist!  When I'm cold it's worse. When I turn on the AC during summer it hurts 😔.. It's so frustrating. My doctor told me yesterday it's costochondritis..I feel maybe I have both since my chest is swollen a little and gets tight. I'm hoping to find a natural way to deal with this inflammation. Though mine does not spread. I don't want to be hooked to some medicine. Will give it shot and post updates. I thought GA weather would be beneficial😩.. My advice find natural ways to deal with it. I believe there is a solution. Be encouraged acontender
  • Posted

how are you feeling now, i know this is a old post i hope that you might get this post 

• Posted

Hi, Thanks for checking in :-)

My Tietze's is pretty much the same - hasn't gone away, but hasn't gotten any worse, so I suppose that's good. I've continued to have other systemic symptoms, though, so I still suspect the Tietze's is a symptom of some other inflammatory/auto-immune process that just hasn't been diagnosable yet. So I'm just carrying on at the moment!

• Posted

I dont know it this helps, but i have had Tietze's for over14 yrs, and yes it is a cause from psoriatic atrhritis, (they think) I reg email to the GERD( gentic and rare diseases) site and they will talk to you about it,  tests, and so forth, my rhumy had me do a bone scan with the radoactive iodine,He also did gentic testing and a positive hla-b27 antigen pretty much confirmed his diag. i barely have psoriasis so i was surprised to find out i had both to be sure lol
  • Posted

I'm suffering with the exact condition as yours with the swelling on my breatsbone as well as the swelling of my right sterno clavicular joint and also at the acromio joint..I've done series of mri and ct scan which turned out normal except narrowing of the joint. It's been 4 months now and still no relief. I came home to philippines for a short vacation and I'm afraid i'd be losing my job abroad because Of this. Please help me know the best relief for this. God bless..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.