Can Tinnitus change

Posted , 5 users are following.

my tinnitus has changed its sound, 2 weeks ago my head or ear popped and the ringing has been louder since, my tinnitus used to go quiet if i blocked my ears but now it don't. its constantly there i hear it over the TV, over the radio, over the noise when I am driving everything and it never used to be this way - I first got tinnitus when I was 21 - I am now 29 - I used to work in a double glazing factory and I never used the ear protection, I also used to listen to music too loud in my car. i also was recently in a car crash and 2 air bags went off and i had ringing in my ears after that for about 10 mins very loud.. has anyone else tinnitus changed this way.thanks

Regards Jamie

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jamie,

It's quite common for tinnitus to change.  I've had mine for over 10 years and I've had several changes in that time.

It sounds like you are having a spike, hopefully it will gradually calm down and go back to its previous level.  It can be very difficult because you have a new noise that you are hyper-aware of; your brain will pay attention to it which is the last thing you really want.  But because it's new and louder it will sound over most things.

It's not easy but you need to stop paying attention to it.  Try and listen to some sounds that mask your tinnitus (keeping the volume to a sensible level obviously) and take a break from it.  Listening to it will make you anxious and that will in turn make it seem louder.  Try and get some relaxation time away from it with things that distract you.  I like gaming, uses plenty of the senses and can really immerse you; I also make music electronically which can be deeply immersive.

Steve

• Posted

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply, appreciated, its freaking me out as im getting some dizzyness and have been a bit light headed since feels like pressure in my ears too.. keeping thinking I got a tumour or somthing.. probably haven't its the anxiety and panic attacks making me worse.. gaming its what im going now to take my mind away from it nice bit of golf :-)

Regards jamie

• Posted

Hi Jamie,

The panic will make you think all sorts. If you have tinnitus in both ears you can forget about it being a tumor (acoustic neuroma) as that will be in one ear only. Still, if you want peace of mind you can get it checked out easily enough.

Allan mentioned the trial for Acoustic Neuromodulation in his reply, it should report in June. I tried it and it wasn't for me. But I made some variations of the treatment that do work for me, they may help you. Google 'musical neuromodulation' the first result should be my video. If it works you will feel a flattening of your tinnitus, making it less noisy and intrusive.

i can send you the sound file so just ask on the comments if you want it.

i also help run a forum where one of our members has made a simple app that simulates the acoustic neuromodulation device so you can try it out. Look for 'tinnitus talk' and you will see a thread on there called - acoustic neuromodulation do it yourself guide.

Steve

• Posted

Hi steve I will try that now thanks, jsut want something to take the edge off this ringing..

Could I gwt the details of thr forum plz il look it up

Rgds jamine

• Posted

Hi Jamie

I have had the same problem. Since 2005, following a throat infection I developed a low hum, like a car engine and some days it really bothered me. Over the years it got less but recently, following 2 courses of antibiotics it has changed to a very high pitch which, like you, can be heard over the tv and sometimes whrn I sm driving (which always used to cancel it out). Even more annoyingly I have also, over the last three weeks developed a low hum again and so have 2 noises going on. The low hum eadily becomes very distorted if I hear a loud noise, such as the clatter of a pan or plate.

I totally sympathise with you Jamie as it is quite worrying when it suddenly goes louder and changes. Do you find it worse some days than others? I think it can depend on the weather and air pressure.

I have read in forums that quite alot of people experience changes in sound with their tinnitis -it seems quite a common thing. Trials have just bern done into a sound therapy treatment at Notts Uni which, if sucessful might become available on the NHS and could help us all.

I had a bad day with my 2 sounds yesterday when it was very rainy whereas the other day I had 2 days when It was less.

Regards

Allan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.