can using acetylcysteine cause green mucus?

Posted , 2 users are following.

My mother seems to have a lot of green mucus. I don't think it is all from infections and recall reading an article that said acetylcysteine can cause green mucus. She uses it as part of her treatment protocol. Anyone know of that occurring? Thanks.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I use that all the time and it never turns my mucus green. I can usually taste when I have an infection. have you asked her if the mucus has a taste or if she's getting taste or smell that is unpleasant? for me it can sometimes smell like cigarette smoke and the taste I really can't describe it's just not pleasant.

• Posted

Thanks. She has commented on the smell and has on occasion mentioned the taste. My dad mentioned he had read something on the drug turning mucus green. I am wondering if, in combination with an infection and her pulmonary fibrosis treatment, that it might make it greener.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.