Can Vacutainer Needles Break During Blood Test

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi All

I'm probably being paranoid here but I had a number of blood samples taken about an hour ago, with the nurse using the normal Vacutainer method (the needle attached to a tube where vials are then inserted to draw blood). Now I'm usually ok with blood tests, but for some reason this one hurt more than usual, and it's left me with this slight feeling the needle is still in my arm. The nurse was focussed on the job in hand so I presume if the needle had broken then she would know about it. I was just wondering how safe these needles are and if there's any chance that a part of it might have broken off? Also, what would happen if a part had broken off?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

The probability that the needele tip broke is 0.000001 if not 0.Also i cant imagine a nurse missing a broken needle.If there was a piece of the tip in your arm you would be able to tell almost immediately.The area will be red, very painful to the touch(probably it will hurt without even touching).If your arm hurts it is because a hematoma was caused by the needle.The area will turn from red-bluish to yellowish and it will disappear ina week or 2.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply George, much appreciated.

It doesn't hurt now and there's no swelling or bruising so I'm guessing all is ok. I know it was a bit silly of me to worry, it's just it never hurt as bad as this as with my previous blood tests, and just got me wondering.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.