Can valium cause vertigo?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had a few bouts of vertigo before but it goes away but today I woke up with it expecting it to get better.I was just sitting on the couch talking on the phone when the room started to spin. Anyone else had this happen?

3 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes it can, vertigo,dizziness,spinning and unsteadiness even when sitting are common side effects of Valium.

I was on 18mg for years, increased to 20mg 5 weeks ago and certainly have vertigo,dizziness,spinning and a feeling of 'going to fall over' that was never there before the increased dose and you would think with my tolerance levels I would not have this.

I called the phaarmacy after my Dr tried to tell me it was my anxiety ( I knew otherwise) and they said highly likely it is the Valium (or Diazepam as we call it here in the UK)

It's not dangerous unless you are elderly and prone to falls etc but just rather unpleasant.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply I did not take it last night and got up with vetigo usually it goes away later in the day but not today it got worse I took a very small amount of Diazepam to see if it would help it did a little will see what tomorrow brings. You know it's bad when you scare the dog. 
    • Posted

Carol you can get diazepam in liquid form - use a syringe like the ones used for babies for calpol . You can be really accurate with it - comes as 2mg diazepam in 5 mils sugar free syrup. Easiest way to taper off at your own pace too!
    • Posted

Oh an afterthought try and take the same amount the same day everyday and I would write it down - please don't go up and down yoyo same every day until you decide to drop just that tiny mil on the one dose you chose for at least you feel ready for the next!
    • Posted

I take it at night for sleep but it does not work.many have sugested liquid but I don't know if it is available here if it is it is probably not generic so insurance will not pay.   I keep a detailed journal. 
  • Posted

Oh Yes!! I even went to eye doctor thinking it was my eyes.  A terrible feeling. Mine usually last constantly for a complete day and then for a few days I am OK. Bad feeling.
  • Posted

I was put on Valium back in 2013 for constant vertigo aka meiners disease. I went from 5mg to 20mg where I have been for the past 2 years. It's a vestibular depressant and it stops my spinning. I have read that it can have adverse affects with some ppl but for me it works. I had the spinning so bad for 7 months straight they tried everything to make it stop but Valium was the only thing that controls it.
  • Posted

Yes many. I will send you a link to a reliable website It seems to me you have become tolerant/addicted to it. Any problems finding it please get back to me. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.