Can Warfarin cause night sweats?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi Everyone

Six years ago l had an aortic root and valve replacement surgery as result of a massive aneurysm (8.8cm), I now have a false root and a mechanical valve (St Jude Conduit).  Roughly soon(ish) after this, terrible night sweats appeared out of nowhere, I still have them every night, frequently severe.

Over the years I have been tested for everything, hormone imbalances, Bacterial Endocarditis and loads more, I have been taken off certain drugs such as Amlopidine yet the night sweats still continue.  I sweat at no other times, nor is it any more warm or colder than my bedding was prior to my surgery (nor do I feel hot or cold but kinda prickly when I wake sweating) and then, I never sweated at night. It simply started out of the blue sometime soonish after my surgery, I'm baffled and frustrated and haven't had a decent nights sleep for years. Waking in the middle of the night with wet bed sheets make it impossible to sleep again.

i do suffer from anxiety but take no medication for this. The only medication I take is Warfarin.  I am a 48 year old man, I have read that although uncommon, night sweats have been recorded by some taking the drug, I'm also aware some drugs do different things to different people however uncommon these instances may be.  I guess I'm trying to see if I'm barking up the wrong tree or could this be a possibility? Do any others have this problem? Was Warfarin ever identified as the cause?

Over the years I have blamed or believed these night sweats were caused by something, addressed the issue, yet the night sweats continue so I was wrong, am I wrong again? I'm at my wits end trying to work this out. I'm currently thinking of changing to one of the new NOACs such as Apixaban or Rvaroxaban, any advice on this would also be appreciated, I have a GP appt booked for 15 June to discuss moving from Warfarin to see if this may be the cause of these night sweats.

Thanks for any help

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Everyone!

I thought i'd just give you a brief update on how things are.  Yes, I'm still sweating like a pig (do pigs really sweat?) and it's awful however, I have now had another appointment and this is how it stands.  I cannot take any of the new NOAC's as I have a mechanical valve therefore, I am being sent for imaging of my sympathetic ganglia in my thoracic region to assess whether the night sweats could be a result of my aortic root and valve replacement surgery? hmm.

Whilst I am waiting for this i'm being switched from Warfarin to Simothrone for a trial basis to see if my night sweats are indeed a side effect of Warfarin.  All my tests for TB, Sarocoid, HIV and Bacterial Endocarditis have all been negative.

Thyroid tests, testosterone levels and urine metanephrine levels have also come back normal.

Let's see what the Simthrone does and how my scan of my sympathetic ganglia come back.  Hopefully, we're making some progress now.

Thanks for all your kind comments and input, much appreciated.

Lee

• Posted

Lee ,  have been on Warfarin for almost five years and never have night sweats but it is quite a commom side effect for patients prescribed on some of the latest NOACs. Good luck with a cure .
    • Posted

Hi, Thanks for that.  A colleague at work's wife, is a senior cardiac nurse and I also spoke to her.  When I finished what I was saying, she said to me, 'did nobody warn you about night sweat's to which I said no, nobody has since my op in 2010.  She sent me a leaflet about it so it seems it's not as uncommon as everyone (including me) seems to think.  She said I should have been advised about this.

You learn something new every day!  I think it's much like every other drug, any drug can do different things to different people as we are all different.  However, I don't want to go round thinking this is it, it's all over, let's see how things go on Simthrone and if the night sweats continue. 

Who knows, something may be identified when I have my 'sympathetic ganglia' scanned and I may be barking up the wrong tree altogether?  

I suppose we're getting closer to identifying it or maybe it'll still continue after changing drugs and it my be my ganglia.  We seem to be narrowing things down but haven't identified the actual culprit as yet.

I'll keep you posted and thanks once again for your helpful comments and input.

Lee

• Posted

Good luck with Simothrone. I've asked about it several time and most UK consultants look blank as they don't know it. It seem to be prescribed a lot on the continent. I asked the sister at the AF clinic and she said we don't prescribe it as we don't know much about it but we know all about Warfarin.

I have a tissue aortic valve and NOACs are also contra indicated. I asked about Simothrone  as I  was getting painful weight bearing joints with Warfrin. I eventually put that down to the E number and the amaranth used in colouring the 1mg tablets. Now if I need to make up a dosage with a 1mg I use two 0.5mg instead and am no longer getting joint pains.

• Posted

Hi my name is Nathan Murnane, I'm 27 and got bacterial endocarditis on my mitral valve and had it replaced. I have to be on warfarin for three months but I now get night sweats and feel your pain...wonder if it is the warfarin

• Posted

Warfarin can cause all sorts of side effects from depression, painful joints, eye bleeds, agression, etc.

My husband changed to Apixaban, which for him has not had so many side effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.