Can withdrawl happen after 3 days?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I decided to take 80mg of propranolol for 3 days before my holiday. I'm here now so thought I wouldn't bother today. I'm now feeling like my heart is racing and I'm anxious. Should I have just stopped? They are half beta prograne ones. Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amy, I'm on half betaropanolol to and had teething problems at first, making me really sleepy, I was constintely on the forum asking if what I was experiencing was normal I was contemplating on stopping. But told not to by some of the ladies! And I didnt. I have been taking them now for 5 months and no way now would I stop, NO my advice is to continue to take the propranolol drug. It takes weeks to get fully into you'r system, so give it time.May I ask why you have been put onto this drug? I suffer from migranes!!!!!!. Xx
    • Posted

Hi, I take them for anxiety and migraines. I used them for 3 months last year and they did help. I stopped because I gained weight and they used to make my heart rate really fast when they wore off. I took 3 to try and calm me down before I came on holiday, so o thought not taking anymore would be fine. I would take them but worried to drink alcohol at night if I do. Would only have a couple. Do you drink?
    • Posted

Hi Amy I would persevere and continue taking propranolol regardless. How long r u going away for? If it was me hmmmmm, think I would continue inntaking them u can still drink alcohol and have fun. Yes I do drink alchol. Doctor didn't tell me not to, if u drink ok but in moderation why not!!!!!. It depends how you look at it:continue in taking propranolol and maybe gain weight or ; stop taking propranolol with no weight gain?. U go on your holiday and enjoy 

let me know how u get on?.it is hard and frightening when you are unsure about something. Take care.

• Posted

Hi Amy

Stopping Propanalol suddenly is not usually a good idea, as your symtoms now suggest!  Have a look at the information about it in the medications sections of this site. Some alcohol is ok I think, but as Michelle says moderation is never a bad idea if you are taking any meds. Have a wonderful holiday :-)

• Posted

Hi there Amy' its not a good idea to stop taking Propanolol as you can actually make your condition much worse. Which isn't good. If u r unsure go to see the chemist and ask to speak to the pharmacist.or try and get an appointment with your doctor?!!!. 
    • Posted

Hi Amy - what you described in your initial question, fast heart rate etc. 

Propranolol actually works on the heart and blood vessels mainly to slow the heart rate - which is why it is so effective at helping conditions such as migraine and anxiety which perhaps seem non-heart related. Stopping Proranolol suddenly can make your heart speed up and make you feel unwell. I agree with Michelle's comment below; find a doctor or a pharmacist who can advise and help you if you are still concerned.

• Posted

I've decided to take 10mg of propranolol immediate release to try and sort my heart rate out. It's been over 80 beats per minute for 2 days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.