Can you be Addicted to cocodomol and robaxin

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hiya I'm a newbie here and thought I might be able to get some help. I'm on a lot of medication 30/500mg cocodomol 2 twice a day. ..robaxin 750 mg 2 twice a day and lyrica 100 mg twice a day. I went on holiday and didn't take enough meds with me...on the third day without them in started to be very sick...diareeach. ..anxious...sweaty. I honestly thought I was going to die (in never slept for 2 nights) on 3rd day I had to go to hospital were i was told I was totally dehydrated (I never mentioned meds) the next day I came home and about and hour after taking my Meds I was fine again. Does anyone know if robaxin (methacarbon) is addictive? If that was cold turkey I could never go through it again! What is the safest way to get off these meds??? Any advice appreciated. I wish my dr had never prescribed these meds for me!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hannah. I'm sorry you have had such a tough time, especially when you were away. Holidays are supposed to be relaxing. Yours was anything but. I can't speak for your other meds but with regards to Co-codamol : I have been taking 2 four times daily for well over 2 years due to being a chronic pain sufferer. Codeine is highly addictive but a lot of Drs won't tell you that. No Doctor I've seen has ever told me that. They make such a fuss when you take Morphine or Diazepam as they say they are highly addictive. I was on, at one point 90mg Morphine SRT a day for at least a year. I came off them within a week & suffered no withdrawal. Yet if I am more than 3-4 hours late taking the Co-codamol I start feeling horrendous, with flu-like syptoms. If you want to wean off them then my advice would be to take one twice a day for a week then take one daily until you feel confident enough to stop them altogether. Others here should be able to advise you regarding your other meds. I sometimes wish I had never been put on Co-codamol. They are great in controlling my pain but its terrifying to know I would be SO ill if for whatever reason I had to go a day or two without any atall. Good luck & weaning off slowly is key. 🙂 X

• Posted

Hello Lou,

I was on the highest dose of C/C for 4 years and after two bouts of cronic constipation I decided,"no more" and haven't had any since,six months ago,I now take paracetamol.

• Posted

Thanks Lou lou. ..I definitely need to stop these things like yourself in suffer with chronic pain but nothing could be worse than what I suffered on holiday....thanks again
    • Posted

Even if he didn't bbe, it is not something you shld ever do with any meds. Each person reacts differently when it comes to withdrawal. I cannot see someone going 'cold turkey' with regards to Codeine. I came off 90mg of Morphine per day, in a week. I found it fine but someone else might have suffered terribly. Like I said 'weaning off ' is key. But you also have to your pain under control before stopping a medication else you'll end up going back on it out of desperation. Ask your Doctor about other less addictive pain meds & he can also advise re: stopping some meds. Wishing you all the best hun. Xx

• Posted

Thanks Lou...I'm starting today...just taking usual dose in morning and halfing it at night time see how I go....but definitely wouldn't go cold turkey after my horrendous experience! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.