Can you be perimenopausal and still have regular periods?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have had all kinds of different symptoms these past 4 years-anxiety, night sweats, moods swings, sugar cravings. I've had 2 test to see if i am in menopause and they both came back negative. So I want know if I can be still be perimenopausal in spite of the negative results, and in spite of still having regular periods.

Thank you,

Denise x 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

We'll it kinda sounds peri to me!! But I'm no expert I myself am trying to figure all this out. But we have to hang in there for this roller coaster ride!! Hang in theresmile
  • Posted

Yes sounds like peri to me...I have had test also that come back negative too..but as ive learned on here our hormones are so up and down that its hard to catch...ive been in peri a year or so and the ladies on here have been great...what do you take for anxiety?
    • Posted

Anxiety got so out of hand I felt I had to go on medication-2 years ago-50mg Sertraline. I was on it for 18 months then stopped it early this year when anxiety calmed down. Recently with the stressors of other "life changes" I am seriously considering taking them again. My anxiety can get out of hand also because I am a survivor of childhood sexual abuse and can experience "triggers."   I once read that the menopause could be a doubly tricky time for survivors.
  • Posted

hi Godblessed

sounds like peri... but regular periods dont..

the blood test almost always comes back normal until you have only a few periods a year... the FSH blood test is based on low hormone levels and if your still having regular periods they will not be in the low zone just yet.. my first one came back normal but doc said i was peri and i had all the symptoms like you too, particularly night sweats ... the FSH does the blood test for that moment, so as your hormones are erractic at this time, the following week the same test could be different result again..  i craved sweet things, chocolate and still do 10 years in peri.. luckily I am still very slim so it doesnt affect my weight.... i have to have choc everyday 😮

Jay xx 

• Posted

Yes it certainly does sound like peri symptoms. I have had the same symptoms for about the same time that you have mentioned. I described to my doctor my symptoms and she said without even having to test me it sounds like I was having peri symptoms. She tested me just the same although she did say that the test my come back showing nothing. But the symptoms speak for themselves even if you are still seeing your periods every month. I think that is just the way this works; you have the symptoms long before missed periods and then finally it'll just go away.
  • Posted

I will say yes. I myself at 39 have just been diagnosed and still have regular periods.
    • Posted

Hi Sheryl,

What tests did they run to diagnose you? I still have regular periods too and no one doctor has officially diagnosed me as being peri. One doctor said my symptoms sounded like it. All the other doctors insisted that I was not in peri because I was still seeing my periods and because my blood work always comes back normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.