Can you become allergic to plaquenil after many years ?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone, I have been on plaquenil for 8 years since I was diagnosed with cutaneous lupus and sjogrens. .My symtoms were malar rash , joint pain and fatigue .  Never had an issue with it . All of my symtoms disappeared . Recently I was having some health issues that come about a low immune systems so my rhemy suggested to cut my dose or stop for a month . I take 200 mg a day. So I cut the dose to 100mg and for 3 weeks I was good. Then I began getting the joint pain and pain in my hands so I restarted up again . I didn't want to risk it getting worst. Then I started having itching in my back and scalp but no rashes and when I would take it after about and 1 1/2 my face would flush and my neck would turn all red but would eventually go away . The itching comes and goes throughout the day but at night it doesn't itch . My eyes also feel like when you get an allergic reaction  I stopped the plaquenil a few days but then restarted and am still itching . This has never happened before . I am really puzzled . Could I have become allergic now to the Plaquenil ? I am really scared now because this medication is the better one to take compared to what is available . Has anyone ever experienced this ? What could be happening ?  I have a call out to my rheumatologist to see what she suggests . The only other medication I am on is a blood pressure medicine which I started 6 months . Thanks .

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi...I don't know if you can become allergic to Plaquenil. But the symptoms you describe the flushing red and even the itching are symptoms you coulc expect to see with Lupus.

I think you are getting the symptoms because you cut back on Plaquenil. I am taking it currently and notice if I miss one dose pain in my joints comes back same day.

You don't describe what is going on with your eyes but also any type of vasculitis can affect the eyes too. I would be tempted to try the full dose of Plaquenil and try to get the condition stable again.

I have heard of meds that stop working and yes I have heard of people develop an intolerance of certain meds. But your symptoms are so classically Lupus I feel that is what is causing your cirrent issues.

• Posted

HI Margaret thanks for replying . I have heard that people with lupus do have itching spells but I wasn't aware that with cutaneous lupus you can also itch. I guess since I have never had itching before just a malar rash which didn't itch . Also when I have gone a few days without the plaquenil I have never had a problem in restarting so this episode has been real different. Concerning my eyes they are dry which is part of sjogrens but also feel like heavy when you get an allergic reaction and alittle red . So I don't know whats going on there . Do you know what people take when they itch and if they have this all the time ?  I find it really odd that when I go to bed the itching stops and when I wake up it starts all over again . My cardiologist doesn't think the itching is from my blood pressure medicine but he did suggest maybe to stop the plaquenil and see. But I want to wait and see what rheumy has to say .If you have any other suggestions it would be greatly appreciated . Thanks

• Posted

I take metopropolol succinate ER  25 mg per day . Also my blood pressure has  gotten really high .  I didn't take the plaquenil on Wed and Thurs per my cardiologist to see if it was the plaquenil but I think it takes awhile for the plaquenil to leave your body .

• Posted

Ok it does list itching and rash as a side effect of that particular blood pressure med.

I get high blood pressure when disease is not well controlled.

• Posted

To be fair it is also listed as a side effect of Plaquenil. Confusing eh. Not sure what to suggest. Is the itching going when you don't take Plaquenil?

• Posted

I stopped the plaquenil on wed but I am still itching . This is so weird because the itching is everyday but comes and goes  it's not all over my back just two areas . And when I go to bed it goes away . My chin is alittle red but could be because I stopped plaquenil . I spoke with my rheum office and they they called in meloxican and prednisone for itching . But I am going to wait because prednisone doesn't agree with me . My cardiologist also recommended a new blood pressure . I am so confused because nobody knows why I am having the itching . And the blood pressure medicine has worked so well I really hate the thought of starting the other and then what if it turns out to be the plaquenil . Am beside myself . I guess I will wait till tomorrow to see . Any suggestions ? 

• Posted

HI Margaret , the itching continued so I went to see a dermatologist and they said I had nostalgia paresthetica . This is a sensory neuropatic syndrome of the midback skin. They said that since I had stopped the plaquenil that my whole body was reacting .  So I am back on the Plaquenil 200 mg a day . I never realized how much this medicine was helping me . Just recently I started with a sore and burning tongue. It feels like I have canker sores on the ridges  of my tongue . Any suggestions as to what this could be ? Its been only a week that I have returned on the Plaquenil and I know it will take time for it to make a difference again . Not sure if it is the sjogrens that is causing this or something else ? Thanks for any suggestions.
    • Posted

Hi....I suspect ig is but if course check with your doc. Canker sores are a symptom of your illness. I certainly have had similar issues previously. I didn't use anything for treatment. It would come and go. But my tingue would be painful. There is a condition called burning mouth syndrome which can be related to Sjogren's. See your doctor about it and see what they say and suggest for treatment. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.