Can you catch the stomach flu from someone before they get sick?

Posted , 3 users are following.

my friend was working with a girl who has the stomach flu. when i saw her last night, she was not activley sick. we sat in a car to talk and the only thing we shared is a pen.

now she tells me she thinks she is getting sick. now i am worried i will get it from her even though she was not "sick" when she was over.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

She may have been incubating the bug when you saw her. However, you may not necessarily catch it I was with a few people last year with the full blown cold but I didn't get it.

• Posted

Depends on your immune system at the time of contact. Also certain strains of viruses have different lengths of time for the bug to become contagious. But yes the possibility exists. I am a magnet for most stomach viruses being that I have extremely severe ibs. Good luck and hope you stsy well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.