Can you describe what brain fog feels like?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I've got CFS which was triggered by glandular fever back in February, the worst part of it for me is the brain fog. It's as though I've been completely stripped of my personality/identity.

My friends ask me to describe it, but in order to do so in a way that they could comprehend I'd probably need to write a 3 page essay. The feeling is so weird and abstract that I reckon only people who have experienced it will understand. 

How would you describe it in just one sentence? 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I find it's like a pressure in your head that doesn't go away along with overwhelming exhaustion. That's for me personally, other people may feel things differently.

• Posted

I feel the same, I’d love to just have a clear head, I’ve forgotten what it’s like! Hope you’re ok, stay strong. 
  • Posted

It's similar to concussion I feel. Like you're spaced out and can't focus. Also it's like being half asleep and being woken up abruptly- your brain struggling to catch up with the current situation.

I've had concussion and it definitely resembles that.

Beverley

• Posted

It's like you've been sedated, you can't think clearly and memory blanks!

• Posted

I know what I want to say, but when I start speaking I can't get the words to come out have to stop and refocus.

I have not received a diagnosis of CFS yet waiting on the last lot of blood tests to come back but it's looking like that is what I am suffering from.

• Posted

Hopefully you can get a diagnosis to put your mind at rest a little bit, it was very worrying for me when I thought it might me something more sinister. Stay strong!
  • Posted

My best way to describe my brain fog is that my memory stops working...  from one moment to the next..  The context of my thoughts are forgotten and I have trouble finishing a sentence because I forget what I'm saying.  I think of things but the threads of the idea don't knit together as I haven't been able to retain them in my memory.

I don't know if this is your experience but that's how it is for me...

So my one sentence would be that my memory just stops working.

Hope that helps.

Your personality and identity are still there in tact...  it's just harder to let others see them and that then makes it feel like they are lost but they are not; its not the view of others that defines you.

• Posted

That sums it up quite nicely and I’ve  experienced this for sure. There have been occasions where I’ve been trying to say something and just completely lose track or slur like an idiot. 

At the moment I only speak in very short sentences to avoid embarrassment. The idea of social situations gives me so much anxiety it’s horrible 

• Posted

I like that only speak in short sentences. Bring fog/confusion has become the most frightening part of this disease. Thank you for the suggestion of sticking to short sentences 
  • Posted

Mental fog is when you start reading page 1 of a book but by the time you turn to page 2 you have totally lost the thread, the words are swimming before your eyes and you are so dizzy you must instantly put the book down.
  • Posted

I struggle to explain what I'm thinking into words in and understandable way. It's infuriating especialy when I've actually thought of something to say that's intelligent or deep but instead make it sound like I'm either half baked or it comes out as offenswive.

I know you said one sentence, but if I could have another it'd also be that my concentration is terrible to the point where I'll be interested and listening to someone telling me something, but then I'll space out halfway through regardless.

• Posted

Hi  Will, in one sentence... ? probably not but... here goes my version... its like driving along then suddenly going into a bank fog for of visibility only 30metres (or yards)  You know what speed you are doing you know all around you people are doing the sameish speed you want to slow down as you know it is unsafe but you don't know what everyone else is actually doing. you get distracting glimpses of what is going on around you , you are trying to concentrate really hard but each glimpse gives a frightening moment of what was that too close far enough each though is distracted by what ifs to the point where you aren't really thinking you are just doing and keeping your fingers crossed that it is enough you are just driving as best as but not able to be a real part of the driving process other than .... There are moments of clear road and you relax just to hit another thick fog bank. From Research it seems that taking either an amino acid supplement or a fatty acid supplement will help this, for me it is taking amino acids... (research from Norway and Australia finding that the energy cycle is switched away from sugars into either Amino acid metabolism or fatty acid metabolism... ) not a cure but it does help.... help my version of how I felt helps... still have ME badly but much less brain fog 

• Posted

I used to keep saying my brain feels like candy floss. More like grey candy floss than Though not a nice flavour lol . Is difficult to explain in one sentence- especially if you have brain fog!  Agree with above comments - pressure in head, dizziness . Also memory loss,  cognitive ability affected, brain feels tired  , hard to learn new tasks, feeling like you are ill on a sick day and need to rest your mind with flu - but every day ? Low attention period, emotions affected. Pretty much everything affected as brain controls everything!  That's more than one sentence it's so hard! 

I have recently been on a daily histamine tablet and an allergy nasal spray which is helping my brain fog . Definitely helping with pressure and dizziness. 

Please make sure you are dealing with possible allergies and intolerance as this will make your brain fog a lot worse smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.