Can you do leg lefts

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have Uruguay prolapse stage 3 and possible a little bladder and bowel prolapse for the last 20 some years with no real symptoms. Question. Can I do leg lefts with 25 pounds? I try to avoid all things that put pressure on my pelvic floor.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Buster do you mean leg lifts? If you do then yes you can lift anything you want with a prolapse but something as heavy as 25lbs could make it worse. The best thing would be to speak to your GP because a lot depends on the condition of your pelvic floor so it's difficult to give you that sort of advice.

• Posted

Matron can you lift as normal after prolapse operations, only I've read very negative comments about not lifting ever again 😱

• Posted

I know what you mean there is so much conflicting information out there that I'm not surprised so many women are confused. Some are told one thing then somebody else contradicts the information. The information we give to ladies is that after 6 months it is ok to start lifting  for instance a two year old child but to obviously be very careful bend your knees and when you can get someone to help. Then after 12 months there shouldn't be any reason why you shouldn't just lift as anyone who hasn't had surgery. I had my repair over 6 years ago and after a year just didn't think about it, I went to Zumba (had to stop because I have osteoarthritis and it was too painful) for a few months and I go to Pilates. The urogynaecologists I've worked with say that the surgery is now much more "secure" because of the strong sutures that are used and the improved way the surgery is performed. 10 years ago the advice was absolutely no lifting but it's no longer the case. How can we go through life never picking up a child? I lift my grandchildren and my repair is secure. So unless you have another prolapse or weak pelvic floor muscles carry on as normal. Just to add, more and more urogynaecologists are advising the use of Vagifem pessaries for women who are peri menopausal or menopausal. As we get older the lining of the vaginal wall atrophies due to the lack of female hormones so Vagifem which is oestrogen helps to build up the wall giving the repair a better chance of success. I was prescribed it pre op and I still use it twice a week. My urogynaecologist told me I could use it "for life" safely because the oestrogen is absorbed into the tissues and not the blood stream in fact I've just had a GP appointment this afternoon and discussed it with her and she happily prescribes it. Sorry to have go on so long but I just wanted to explain everything fully. Hope it helps.

• Posted

Matron thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me again. I've found everything you said so positive & helpful. My appointment is tomorrow so fingers crossed. I did say to my husband that its not very realistic never lifting anything ever again. I then cried thinking about never lifting my little girl ever again. Your knowledge is so very appreciated x

• Posted

You'll definitely be lifting your little girl again but I can understand how worried you must have been because there's so much rubbish on some websites. Good luck tomorrow and please let us know how you get on x

• Posted

Thank you Matron, I'll keep you posted x

• Posted

It seems like that would put a fair bit of pressure on your pelvic floor, especially with the weights.  Does it feel like there is a lot of abdominal pressure?  

You might want go to the pelvic floor first website and look at the information they have on pelvic floor safe exercises.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.