Can you drink alcohol when taking Citalopram??

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Has anyone drunk alcohol on Citalopram? I have a party to go to next week and wondered if it is safe to have a few drinks or would it cause problems with the medication.

June

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

How is your mental status?if things are going well and you only have a couple drinks you should be fine. But that said , everyone is different and reacts different. If you do decide to drink definitely don't drive with the combination, obviously
    • Posted

Hi David thanks for your reply. Mental state is good. So may have just a few and just be careful, definetly won't be driving.

Thanks

June

• Posted

Hi June. How long have you been on citalopram? I have been for 11 months now. I don't drink a lot but I noticed the first few months if I had a couple I had a massive headache the next day. But I also had a headache from the cit too. I'm good now but I only have 3-4 at a time a couple times a month. I think if it's in moderation you should be ok. 
    • Posted

Hi Kathy

Thanks for reply.

I've only been on cit for 3 weeks I did suffer with headaches the first week but that has eased now. I may try 2-3 glasses of wine and see how I go. It's a one off so probably won't have any for a while after that.

June x

• Posted

Hi June , March 3rd I will be starting month 5 on cit. I have drank in moderation with this and have had no issues. Again everyone is different so I would go easy first time to see how it affects you. I actually feel better after a glass of wine or a couple beers lol. Enjoy yourself !!
    • Posted

Hi I'm on week 12 )20mg)I feel better than last month did you stay on same dose ? And now your on 5 months do you feel better ?
  • Posted

Hi June, I had a few beers on citalopram and was fine I did notice once I drank about 6 beers in a a 3 hour period and had a kiler head ache otherwise fine? I wouldnt suggest drinking a lot though! smile
  • Posted

Hi Kathy,

You do not have to drink to have a good time. You are only three weeks into taking Cita and you are taking it for a reason so, I would wait until you are at a point where you know Cita is doing its job and you have kinda levelled out.

Obviously I am talking from experience and I do drink carefully again, now and again however, 15 months down the road because, as advised here, I knew what was best for me. I did not drink for a long time gave up smoking too.

You don't have to take the pledge or anything just respect the meds, recover and then move forward and if a drink now and again is what yer fancy, fine, but at this stage I do not recommend going down that road. There will be more parties, I am sure, in the future please don't burn out too soon though.

Actually, being at a party or in a pub when around you most people are drinking (and parties do tend to be a little more "let yer hair down") it is quite sobering (to make a pun) to watch alcohol make idiots of some  people.

Sorry Kath I do not recommend.

Regards,

David

• Posted

Hi June 

definitely drink in moderation and drink water in between alcohol.Too many stimulants can bring on anxiety symptoms temporarily.

Enjoy a couple of drinks and relax.

• Posted

Many thanks for your advise, I will certainly drink water in between.

Thanks

June

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.