Can you eat your way to a healthier prostate ?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Google above. Written by Abi Jackson.

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

First of all let me say that your dog is one of the cutest dogs on this planet!!!! I just want to give him a big hug.  Now as to your question.  Eating "healthy" is extremely important and directly related to longevity and also feeling well. BUT I truly don't believe that it has alot to do with "if a prostate grows bigger or not".  The reason I believe that is its a "fact" that by the time a man hits the age of 70 that there's a 50% chance he's going to have "Prostate Problems".  I truly doubt those men all eat "unhealthy".  I think it really "sucks big time" that the prostate even grows at all.  Your head, lungs, gall bladder, feet, hands, nose, ears, don't grow bigger so "why" does the damn prostate grow????  Iam "extremely dissapointed" that there is no simple solution or remedy to the problem.  I have already had a "PAE"  and also a "UROLIFT" to no avail.  The only thing left now is the old "ROTO ROOTER JOB" where you go in and  "DE-MAN" THE MALE.  I've done all the damn drugs too that also "DE-MAN" you.  I don't want any part of those drugs anymore. 
    • Posted

Why hasn't PAE or UROLIFT worked for you?  Is it because of the size of the prostate or existence of a median lobe?  How long have you had symptoms of BPH?
    • Posted

Hi; You would have to ask God that question because I "honestly" don't know why neither one has worked for me.  No my prostate is not overly large the guy that did my "Urolift" checked me and said it was between 45 and 50 grams which is not overly large.  No he said I do not have a median lobe.  As far as "how long" I have had these problems I would say probably going on 20 years now.  I just turned age 65 a couple of months ago.  I now just try very hard to control my "liquid intake" after 5PM.  I find that helps about as much as anything.  Also try to stay away from alcohal in the evenings too.
    • Posted

I am truly sorry to hear that neither procedure has worked for you.  I can't imagine going through life with BPH symptoms for 20 years.  I am 48 and have only recently experienced these symptoms.  I suppose if TURP and laser were my only options, I would have postponed things for a while too.
    • Posted

Hi Chuck 

I am very sorry that you have had no success with the PAE, but I feel I must correct you on a few points. From my research it seems that the enlarged prostate problem seems mainly to be a Western phenomenon, also ears and noses do continue to grow in old age. I am going to have a PAE done as part of a UK research project and will report back my experiences. MAybe you could try  another PAE? I have read on this forum about one guy who is going for his second.

Good luck,

• Posted

Wishful thinking? Maybe, but 15 years ago when my prostate 'grew' after injuring my back at sea. I went to the Clinica Europa in Marbella and the consultant there examined me and informed me my protate was swollen. I also had a PSA which was a high read. He advised me to return when I felt better after the accident and in the meantime avoid anti-histames and eat plenty of pumpkin seeds.

One month later I returned and the new PSA reading was normal and the swelling had reduced slightly. The swelling didn't improve and the consequent peeing problems began and have stayed with me since 15 years ago on Tueasday. I can't forget it because it was my 60th birthday, I will be 75 on Tuesday and all this time I have experimented with all kinds of 'panacea'. I still chuck in a handful of pumpkin seeds in my smoothies and in all this time I haven't had a high PSA read and tamsulosin has kept things in order - more or less.

So, if any of you have found a diet or substance that helps, let us know about it. BTW, Saw Palmetto doesn't work for me.

• Posted

Hi, I asked my urologist about saw palmetto, pumpkin seeds etc. He  said that no proven benefit has been shown from taking any of the former but he also said that many of his patients felt better for taking the same. His only caution was to make sure that any prescription drugs taken had no known reaction with these food items.
    • Posted

I asked my urologist about saw palmetto and he did not recommend it.  He said that it would make me feel like less of a man, so the side-effects are probably similar to avodart.
  • Posted

My symtoms were ruining my life.  I went from getting up six or more times at night to dribble, to getting up six times or more with the urge to dribble, but unable to do so.  The lack of sleep was sending me into a deep depression.  

Consequently, I made may lifestyle changes and took many suppliments.  With two exceptions, none of the suppliments helped.  Saw palmetto and pygium were worthless.  Either beta-sitorsterol or stinging nettles gave me such severe hives that I thought I had shingles.  Zinc gave me nausia.  Magnesium citrate did nothing for me.  

I gave up almost all dairy, gluten, 90% of my sugar intake, all red and processed meats, over the counter pain relievers, caffene, alcohol and went to a primarily plant based diet.  I work out with weights and don't eat between 6pm and 6pm.  I dropped 23 lbs and looked like they plotoshopped a 70 year old head on a ripped 30 year old body.  However, that lessened my symptoms enough to cancel my PAE appointment, but I still suffered from enough urine retention so that I couldn't pee in the evening, and slept with some discomfort.  

Melatonin helped me sleep, but it had no effect on my urine retention problems.  And then I read about mint leaves, both pepperment and spearment, work as an anti-androgen.  I had nothing to lose so I bought a pound of each from Amazon.  I still don't pee like a race horse, but I now uninate during the evening, before going to bed, and I don't need the melatonin anymore.  I cold brew a quarter cup of mint leaves to a quart of water, and I have half a gallon of each in my fridge.

It's working for me, but I've still got PTSD from my former sleepless nights, and hope this cure will last and is not too good to be true.  It's my understanding that not everyone can easily digest mint, so be careful of you have acid reflux problems. 

• Posted

I have suffered BPH symptoms since age 19. I am 31 now. In my experience I have not been able to make any notable change in my symptoms through diet. I read and followed advice given in "the natural prostate cure" which includes fasting, eating a "macrobiotic diet" taking about 20 different supplements. Not eating "nightshade" vegetables.. Blah blah blah.

I did the "master cleanse" ( twice ) by fasting for 10 days and drinking salt water enemas to flush out my system prior to switching to a vegan macrobiotic diet for about 2 years. I also juiced greens regularly. Quitting drinking milk I believe has helped only the slightest and I have not gone back to drinking it, but I have gone back to eating whatever I want because noting seemed to make a difference. I have tried many things over the years which I have not mentioned in this post because I accidentally deleted the last one I tried to make, which was far more detailed. I have read much material related to the prostate and tried many approaches. My hope now is with the PAE procedure. Hope I can get some decent health insurance soon..

• Posted

I have been reading all the posts and just wanted to add one small thing. I have read "Many Articles" on how coffee is a really  "Powerful Anti-Oxidant".  I have always loved coffee and refuse to give it up.  But I make a "weak cup" in the morning around 6:30am.  I have 2 weak cups and thats my "caffeine fix" for the day.  I don't think I can give it up but I do know the Doctors all say to cut your caffeine consumption if you can.   Its a real shame that there's not a procedure out there that will help all men but not take their manhood from them.  Thats why I have avoided all the real surgeries such as "Turp", "Turis", "Green Light", etc etc.  At the "end of the day" they are all basically "Roto Rooter Jobs" and steal your manhood from you. 
  • Posted

Just finished reading an article by a doctor re the colds and flu season.

He states that common over the counter cold remedies may exacerbate prostate problems

Pseudoephedrine may cause difficulty urinating and a general worsening of prostate systems.

Phenylephrine can cause constriction of the prostate capsule again causing your prostate symptoms to become worse.

Had a look in our medicines cabinet and found preparations to releive congestion and runny nose etc that contain one or the other of the above drugs, think they will have to be disposed of safely.

• Posted

Just want to add to the list any SSRI antidepressants and at least for me, benzodiazapines. I have had to quit taking Lexapro and am careful not to take Ativan before bedtime. Shut me down completely twice. I  had the TUMT procedure last January and that was supposed to provide lasting relief and get me off the tamsulosin. Well, I was back in the ER for a Foley this Nov. 1st. and now back on the dreded med. My Dr. has instructed me on self cath and provided the materials so at least that takes away some fear of that trip to the ER (4th for me) I am with all the others here regarding their desire to get off the meds and back to normal function without distructive surgery. Has anyone had any success??
    • Posted

Tried tamsulosin and it did work but the side effects were horrendous, Chest pains, cough , worst of all nor able to think clearly. Stopped the med and back to normal inc urinary problems within 24 hours
    • Posted

Please explain "normal" urinary problems. What are you doing now for relief?
    • Posted

Weak stream, splitting and nocturia got me to see my doctor. As we have a family problem with PC he did a DRE and PSA test. Finding a hard lump on my prostate he refered me to a urologist who did a biopsy. Thankfuly no PC. Some weeks after my biopsy I started suffering from discomfort/pain in my pubic area aches in my scrotum and groin along with back pain. My GP believes this is a spin off from the biopsy. I take hot baths and ibuprofen for this that most times give releif. For y urinary symptoms my GP prescribed tamulosin which did work well but left me with the aforementioned side effects. I am waiting to see my doctor for an alternative if one is available. With hindsight I have had prostate problems from being a young man. Always had a weak stream and in my late teens experienced discomfort in the base of my penis and in the pubic area after ejaculation. This persisted untill I had a pee which gave relief. This continued up to my mid 20s. Never saw the doc about this as very embarassed as a young man. Never had an STd.

So normal is weak split stream, nocturia and ED.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.