Can you ever be clear from reoccurring UTI's its ruining my life!!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Since being in a sexual relationship I have had reoccurring UTI. At the begining of the relationship these came every few months and have slowly became more frequent. I have been on many antibiotics and have been referred to a urlogist, however he also just put me on antibiotics over a long period of time. 

I have done research myself and am now taking dmannose every morning and a probiotic at least every other morning. However i am still getting UTI at least every month sometimes every 2 weeks. The only thing i have managed is by increasing the does of dmannose every few hours when I have a UTI it gets rid of the UTI within a day well the pain that is. 

As you all know the pain that you get when you have a UTI is unbearable and even though i have been able to shorten the time of the pain I wish it would never come in the first place. I am constantly worrying every day that the pain might come back and am getting to the point where I think this is it now for the rest of my life every month I will have a UTI. 

Has anyone been able to cure themselves of not having any UTI's whilst in a sexual relationship? Any advice would be great. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hey.

Not sure if this will help but are you on any birth control?

Because I had recurring UTIS for 8 months, getting one every two weeks, as I just got into my first serious relationship was 17 at the time & i decided to go onto the pill and had UTIs every other week since then! So I decided after seeing someone post about it on here to come off my birth control to see if that works & it has! Ever since I came off my birth control I've been free from UTI and I'm now 19 almost 20! although I haven't go onto any other birth control apart from condoms, as I'm way too scared to go on anything and get UTIs again, like you said the pain is literally unbearable!

• Posted

Hi

Yes I am on the pill, however i was on the pill a few years before getting into a sexual relationship due to heavy and painful periods. I never got a UTI before whilst I was on it, but i suppose it is worth researching about. I would give anything a try. 

• Posted

Ah, see I both started a sexual relationship and the pill at around the same time, so I wouldn't know if it's that but give it a research I know when I was on the pill after sex always hurt a lot and for a few days after I'd get horrible pains which would turn into a UTI so they might be connected!
  • Posted

Are you going for a pee immediately after sex? Having a bath before sex? Wearing only cotton underwear? Wearing stockings instead of tights? Many years ago I had UTI s on and off but mainly on. The docs gave antibiotics and even a spell in hospital with kidney investigations. I read the above remedies in a magazine and thought "what the hell, no harm in trying". They worked.
    • Posted

Yes I do all of that apart from the bath before sex, but i normally try to clean before sex. Thank you I will try anything though.
    • Posted

The bacteria that cause UTIs come from the bowel where they are normally present and don't cause problems. The short space between the anus and urethra in women make it more likely that any hanging about can be introduced into the urethra. This is as likely to occur in foreplay as in intercourse. Bidets have a lot to recommend them but don't seem fashionable. Even here in France they are seen less and less in modern bathrooms!
  • Posted

cystistat ask your urologist its available on nhs its a liquid put directlyinto your bladder bit uncomfortable but only takes two minutes it temporarily rebuilds your bladder wall and makes infections much more bearable
    • Posted

I think my urologist has mentioned that as the last resort. I have an appointment in a couple of weeks so maybe they will suggest that again. 
  • Posted

Hello, Firstly I feel your pain (pardon the pun). Since being in a serious relationship I have also had recurring bouts of UTI's. So yesterday when I first felt the sensations in my bladder - the cloudy pee, the burning sensation, the frequency etc I decided to hit it with turmeric. I've been reading about how it can kill cancer cells and so many bacteria that I thought I would give it a go. And I just have to tell you that it works!!! I feel so delighted (I've got my sister's birthday this weekend and big party, going away with BF!) I don't feel ANY more pain. I am not taking any chances though and am continuing with this until the weekend. Basically I have been making a "tea" - boil some water like 2 cups with a couple of tsp turmeric powder, a tsp cinnamon, and some ground ginger (these last 2 are optional but it makes it taste better). When just boiled take off heat and pour into a mug with honey to taste and about 10 grinds of black pepper. I also add half a tsp of coconut oil but you can use butter if you prefer. Basically turmeric needs black pepper and some fat to be easily absorbed by the body. This is magic, I assure you! I feel so happy I have discovered this as the thought of going through another bout of cystitis and antibiotics was really getting me down. I really hope this can help others, I am over the moon it has worked for me. 

PS I am a nutritional chef and my sister is a nutritionist smile

• Posted

PS I drank about 5 cups of it yesterday
    • Posted

This does not sound nice to drink, but i am up for anything. How long did it take to disappear. I also wonder if drinking that once a day will stop them from occurring?? I will have to research this, thank you for the suggestion, might have to give it a try. 
    • Posted

It's not too bad... But after a whole day of feeling no sypmtoms yesterday today I woke up with mild sensations of burning etc. Back on the turmeric tea rolleyes
  • Posted

Hi Berry, there's a thread here titled 'D-Mannose not working', and in the discussion someone writes that you must take a lot of it the first day - please find the thread and see what the recommendations are for taking it as maybe you didn't have enough. 

I was pleased to see the recipe for turmeric tea here - I'll keep that for future reference!

You don't say what antibiotics you've been given.  If you've taken Ciprofloxacin (or any other of the quinolones such as Levofloxacin), please beware of taking any more.  This group of antibiotics (look on the patient leaflet for the word quinilone or fluoroquinolone), build up a level of toxicity in your cells.  You can be fine with one or two courses but eventually you'll take one pill too many and your body will object - strongly!  There are many threads on here about quinolone toxicity from people whose lives have been ruined.  Not trying to scare you - just warning you, and anyone else reading this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.