Can you ever say that LP is cured?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had vulval LP for about 2 1/2 years and, after seeing a dermatologist, it is finally calming down and the last vestiges of the inflammation are beginning to fade.  But now I'm wondering, is it cured?  Or have others found that I will have to examine myself regularly to make sure it hasn't returned?  Will I have to continue using the Dermovate at a maintenance level?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It sometimes goes but can re occur also you don't use the steroid cream if it's all clear mine is good at mo so I just wash with balneum cream and spray myself with emollin to keep it from feeling dry good luck xx

• Posted

My Vulva Lichen  Sclerosus has finally calmed down after 3 years and I just use Clobetasol about twice a week and that keeps it under control. 
    • Posted

My vulval surgeon said not to use the steroid cream if you don't have a flare up as it thins the skin so I just keep my area moist with emollin spray only use steroids when you really have to !! Xx

• Posted

Mary, That makes perfect sense. I'll talk with my OB/GYN about that.

• Posted

Thank you Mary and Linda, that's really helpful.  Pleased that your Lichen Sclerosis has improved, Linda, and hope that it continues to be under control.   I haven't totally got rid of the Lichen Planus inflammation, there is just one persistent area, but I'm hoping that, too, will eventually clear.  I've had it for about three years in total and it was two years before I was diagnosed properly.  At the moment I'm using the Dermovate every day for a month, then twice a week for a month - and repeat!  I see the dermatologist again in May, so, fingers crossed.  I'm also using Zeroderm Ointment two or three times a day, which is rather messy, so I think I'll have to get some Emollin, it sounds much better.   Thanks again. 

• Posted

Also balneum cream is brill for washing with and as a barrier it's heaps smoother than zeroderm try that too xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.