Can you feel a blood clot moving in your body?

Posted , 3 users are following.

For those of you that have experienced blood clots, can you feel one moving through your body and how badly does it hurt if it's blocking a vein or artery? I've experienced a sort of tension along my outer left arm bone, close to the elbow that feels like a bad muscle ache, no extreme pain. This has lasted anywhere from hours to mere seconds. Idk what this is and I'd love some input from you guys. I'm so scared of dying in my sleep from this or keeling over out of the blue.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

To the best of my knowledge no you can not feel it. I didn't feel my pe until I got a little pain. But no you can't feel it move from an extremity to other parts. At least I've never heard of it before.

• Posted

No, you cannot feel a clot moving through your vascular system any more than you could feel your blood coursing through your veins, but you  can feel pain if you have a thrombus, because blood flow can be totally blocked from moving forward and that would and does cause significant pain.  I suffered blood clots in my legs after surgery and from my recollection ( even though it was over 40 years ago) the pain was pretty bad.  Blood thinner therapy is initiated immediately once that dx is made.
    • Posted

Thankfully I haven't experienced anything that bad, but I have been getting small twinges and aches, mostly in my left leg, I know it's probably not a clot, but my health anxiety is telling me that it is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.