Can you get both types of herpes?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I recently tested positive for Oral herpes HSV1. I understand that hsv 1 can cause sores on both lips and genitals. I have never had symptoms in either places. My bf also have herpes but does not remember if it's hsv1 or hsv2. If we have u protected sex and he happens to have hsv 2, can I get that strain of virus too? Can I have both hsv1 and hsv2? Can I also give him HSV1 if I perform oral? I understand that both types can cause symptoms on genitals and mouth. But can a person have BOTh in them?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You can get both HSV 1 and 2 on your genitals. You need to find out what type he has before you two are intimate, because it does make a difference.

Yours is likely an oral herpes infection from childhood.

If he has HSV 2 on his genitals, he cannot get HSV 1 on his genitals. However, if someone has HSV 1 on their genitals, it does not provide protection from getting HSV 2 down there and they're not sure why completly. HSV 2 rarely ever spreads orally, it is only 1% of oral herpes cases.

• Posted

He just found his test results. He tested positive for type 2... Can we still have unprotected sex? Can I give him hsv1 generally? And can he give me hsv2 genitally?
    • Posted

I would highly recommend him getting on suppressive therapy for your protection and using condoms. Having HSV 2 genitally provides protection from HSV 1 transmission to the genitals, but not the other way around. You are at risk of getting HSV 2 on your genitals.

Below are the following transmission rates, male to female, sex 3xs a week and abstaining during symptoms.

- no condoms or meds: 10%

- condoms or meds: 5%

- condoms and meds: 2.5%

Remember, condoms don't provide full coverage of the genitak area, where it can be transmitted, so there's still risk. I recommend the female condom. It covers more of the outside area of the vagina, thereby providing more protection. It feels better for moth parties, as it is loose and allows for free movement and heats up w thrusting. The ring on the outside provides clitorial stimulation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.