Can you get symptoms with slightly low vitamin d

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’m 16 and I’ve recently been told I have slightly low vitamin d and and calcium when tested as I have been feeling awful for about 2 months. It started with a viral infection which led me to stay indoors for a while and when I recovered from that I went back to college and barely see an sunlight as I’m indoors most of the time. I have another doctors appointment on Wednesday but was wondering if you can still get the symptoms ( bone aches muscle aches head aches etc) but very little fatigue with slightly low vitamin d ; not a deficiency. I have been advised to take over the counter supplements and eat and drink plenty of diary and see sunlight and was wondering if it was the vitamin d causing this.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My husband had a vit D level of 7 - and not a symptom in sight! It very much depends - vit D can be found in patients with autoimmune disorders and it is that that causes symptoms rather than JUST the low vit D itself. The place to start is to get the vit D level up to where it should be - and see if that helps the symptoms. It doesn't happen overnight. But neither does your vit D falling happen quickly - you don't get vit D from sun during the winter anyway. only from May to September in the UK so sun just now won't help much.

I think it is just as likely that you are still suffering the after effects of the viral infection. They can take a few months to really clear up. But why drink and eat dairy? Are you in the UK? Dairy products don't have much vit D naturally and they aren't fortified except in the USA and Canada. Oily fish (salmon, mackerel), egg yolk, mushrooms have some vit D, quite a lot in liver if you like that. But supplements help most.

• Posted

Diary for the slightly low calcium and I have had blood tests ,ct scans etc to rule out anything and the last test was the vitamin d which came back slightly low that’s why I’m concerned cause I’ve had many blood tests for other cause and chest and ct scans and everything is normal apart from the vitamin d
    • Posted

That's good isn't it? As I say - I suspect you are still recovering from the virus. Be patient.

• Posted

What is your current Vitamin D level , parathyroid hormone , phosphate and calcium levels?

What dose of vit D have you been taking? Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.