Can you get two different blood tests done in one drawing?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Basically my doctor has requested 2 different blood tests to do, both to check for a different condition. Can I get it done once for both blood tests, rather than having my blood drawn twice and having two wounds? if not, should I do it one on each arm or both in one arm? or just do one and the other the following week? I'm not good with blood, and I can never seem to fully relax in these situations. My left arm is generally a lot weaker than my right and gets exhausted more easily, and not too long ago I did a blood test on my left arm it was very bruised and painful for 2 weeks till it got better but feels like it's weakened a little more now.

so what should I do?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

In my experience the phlebotomist usually inserts a needle in one vein, either side, and then takes the blood syphoning whatever is needed into the amount of bottles needed for different tests. Only one puncture needed at a session. You should press hard on the cotton wool pad which the nurse will put on the wound, to help prevent bruising for as long as you are told. Some people bruise easier than others, I do but if I press hard like that it helps. Some nurses or doctors are not too good at drawing blood and are clumsy which also can cause bruising. Try to relax and don't watch what is being done, close your eyes as this helps if you can't stand the sight of blood! Best of luck. 😉

• Posted

Do avoid bruising, make sure you do not fold your arm together. Meaning do not bring your wrist up to your shoulder. |Keep your arm straight. Years ago they used to get you to fold your arm and have since realized that that induces bruising

This will be one blood draw. I have had them test for multiple things at one time. Depending on what you are being tested for, it is collected in different viles

• Posted

but I have 2 request forms for two different blood,tests , so should I give them both and will they take.two blood draws

or shall I get one done in one day?

• Posted

Take both to the lab. They should do one draw filling 2 viles

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.