Can you go in the sea

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm going abroad when I will be 7weeks post op for a&p repair, I've had a couple of infection, does anybody know if I'm safe to go in the sea my boss (who's a ex gynecology Nurse)told me to stay out the pool but also that the sea will sting ,so I'm thinking if it stings surely that's not right, feeling totally confused,has anybody been in same position please advise

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It would depend on whether you have healed or not and if your sutures have dissolved so I would think your boss is right and it's too early to go in the pool or in the sea. I'm a gynae nurse (retired) and would not advise it. Sorry.
    • Posted

Thank-you,i can still feel a lot of stitches up inside my boss just said if I do go in the sea to make sure I give my bits a good rinse when I have a shower, but I don't think I will risk it thank-you for the advice
    • Posted

You have to take into consideration that the sea even if it's on a Blue Flag beach is never 100% clean especially when children go into the sea and probably have a quick pee. 
    • Posted

I will be staying at a friend's  house at about 9 weeks - they have a pool, no children about, covered except when actually swimming  and on previous occasions the water has  been crystal clear. The husband is very careful about testing/chemical routine etc.  Would that be safe for a gentle swim ? 
    • Posted

I think it's the ideal solution because it would be such a shame to miss out. If  a patient asked me I'd say that would be ok. You lucky thing, what I lovely way to recuperate.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.