Can you have post nasal drip but with dry nose?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I always thought that post nasal drip is caused by excessive mucus buildup in your nose, that drip down your throat. However, in my case I have constant gluey mucus stuck at my nasopharynx, behind the soft palate where my nose meets my throat. So I believe it’s post nasal drip since it’s at the very upper part of my pharynx. But my nostrils are very dry with no snot coming out at all. I have no runny nose, no sneezing, etc, which means there’s nothing to do with “excessive mucus”.

It’s ruining my life, whenever I swallow my salive ir drink water it feels really uncomfortable like something’s stuck there.

So the question is, is it possible for people to have post nasal drip sensation even though the nasal passages are very dry? Anyone have had the same problem as I do?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes, a very good descrition of how I feel.  I almost wish for hayfever so my nose gets some ue!! I have just started Montelukast from the Doctor which is helping to dry up the mucus. This after pestering the Doc for several years and trying other various nasal drops , inhalers etc. I gave up dairy milk long ago as that increases the mucus but I still need to pull it down after it presses at the top of the soft palate and then it is so thick I have to cut it with my teeth. I have read up on EMPTY NOSE SYNDROME epecially the article from Medical News Today which is very clear.but that does not seem to apply. The ENT consultants attitude was slilly old woman of course we produce mucus as part of the digestive process just swallow it.
    • Posted

Hi Jomary, I don’t believe there’s anything to do with ENS, and I have never had any nasal surgery before, have you?

Also I know diary triggers excessive mucus, but in our cases obviously there’s no “excessive” mucus since we don’t have anything in our nasal passages. So I’m supposing that it’s not the amount of the mucus, it’s dryness that makes the mucus too sticky to go down or come out of your nose. It’s just my guess I’m not sure. I know there are people added moist to there nose by using some kind of natural nasal spray and that somehow reduced the post nasal drip.

• Posted

I have both. top is dry, bottoms drips even get crusting.

Hey there is HOPE! New Treatment! Clarifix.

I've had this for over 3 years. been ruining my life. been tested for everything. I too thought I can't do it anymore.

my new ENT said I have Chronic Non Allergic Rhinitis or Vasomotor rhinitis The FDA just approved a treatment for it. http:// clarifix. com. take out spaces.

Basically the nerves in my nose are too sensitive and act like it is an allergy or infection.

this new treatment basically kills the nerve that sends the message to keep producing the mucus. I am so happy, after another CT scan she is going to give me the Treatment. Clarifix, out patient, they numb your nose and basically freeze the nerve. she said it will give me horrible brain freeze nut only for a few minutes. the whole thing only takes an hour.

I am so hopeful. so many of us suffering, I have not been able to work, go to the movies, sleep well. basically no life at all.

I have PTSD and take anxiety and antidepressants and have hypothyroidism. all of these could have caused the problems no one will no for sure. but once that nerve goes nuts it doesn't matter.

I have no zero affiliation with this company I've been searching for over 3 years. I hope to have mine done in April 2019 May at the latest. don't give up.

best wishes to us all. tell the other message boards, this is a new treatment

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.