Can you help

Posted , 5 users are following.

I suffer with depression and anxiety I've started to get my head round things I have good and bad days but the last couple off weeks I'm struggling with sleep im so tiered but every time I try to sleep my heart races I open my eyes and it slows back down then il close them again my heart races anyone else had this

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi matthewj,

I've been there....am there. It's a strange feeling isn't? I mean, to be so tired but not to be able to sleep. The heart racing is so unpleasant. One of the things I do when this happens is concentrate on my breathing. I breathe in ... 1 ... 2 .... out ... 1 ... 2 (and so on). When I really concentrate on this, but anxiety goes down quickly. The thing is, though, it can kind of be a quick'ish fix, so even though you may feel like your anxiety is coming down, keep on breathing deeply and concentrate on the pattern. Good luck. Anxiety is the worst! Good luck.

• Posted

Ty for your reply I've tried counting sheep all sorts Its so scary and my partner struggles to understand which makes the anxiety worse 
    • Posted

it's always hard on the partner, especially if they have no idea what you're going through. It's hard to explain. I hope that he/she is supportive. My husband is, but he still has a very difficult time trying to make sense of my anxiety. I've told him to stop trying to make sense of it and just to support and not judge.

• Posted

It's hard she just wants the old me back but it's three steps forward ten back she understands I'm not my self but thinks I can just snap out of it now we know why I'm ill, it's destroying me because as much as I want just snap out of it my body won't let me think I'm going to go back to the docs 
  • Posted

yes indeed, quite often trying to sleep is hardest with anxiety, i generally just watch tv or have something on in the background, it helps me a little
    • Posted

I feel more comfort sleeping on the sofa than my own bed it's really strange 
  • Posted

I sleep on the sofa at the moment too, not sure why! I also do what jm does and fal asleep watching a tv show on my laptop. I think maybe you are more aware of your heart when you lay down and this causes you to panic a little and it speeds up. 
  • Posted

I have that and I hate it. At night is usually when my thoughts start racing and it keeps me up for hours. I started taking melatonin and it helps me fall asleep and stay asleep I recommend it. It'll help a lot good luck smile
  • Posted

have you tried relaxation exercises or mood music?

if not are you on any meds for this?

Richard

• Posted

Hi Richard I've try'd relaxing music but it kept me awake I'm on no meds at the minute because I was showing signs of a under active thyroid I have more blood test this week had to wait three months to see if has got worse the doctor thinks this could all be linked to my anxiety/depression because I leant how to deal with my anxiety then all of a sudden I hit rock bottom I hope it is my thyroid because with meds I should get better 
  • Posted

I hope the results of the blood test are useful and you can move on.  If it is thyroid you will have to monitor it regularly so that you don't feel ill again if the levels change in thyroid function.

Richard  ps my mum has thyroid problems

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.