Can you help? Has anyone had heart drugs affecting leukemia and increasing white blood cell count

Posted , 3 users are following.

Does anyone have experience of statins (Atorvastatin), beta-blockers (Bisoprolol) or anti-platelet Ticagrelor medications increasing their white blood cell count? My husband recently had a heart attack and has been prescribed the above standard drugs. He also has CLL (Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia). Just before starting his heart medication, the hospital did a blood test which showed a decrease in his lymphocytes. We were delighted as we had been on a raw diet and were trying various other strategies for helping his CLL. Two weeks after taking the heart medications he went for his CLL check with the haemotologist and we were amazed that his lymphocytes had doubled from 66,00 to 140,00. This doctor is now talking about chemotherapy at the end of the year. He did not think our enquiry about the new drugs relevant. My husband cannot be the only person who has CLL to have a heart attack. If anyone has had a simliar experience I would really appreciate hearing from you. We are wondering which medication may be responsible and whether to come off it or not. Obviously, he does not want to have chemotherapy unless it is absolutely necessary. Thank you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You are bang to rights to be asking this question. To go from a reduction to such a large increase deserves some answers. I'm afraid I can't help on that score but I wish you and your husband every success. It's clear that you're doing as much research as you can and taking on a raw diet is a great move. Can you find any holistic doctors? These GPs think outside the box and consider the needs of the entire body, prescribing a combination of drugs and natural/complementary therapies. I've just been prescribed an array of heart meds myself and within the first week of taking them, am exoeriencing some unpleasant side effects.. All the best to you both.
    • Posted

Thank you Hazza. We have not found a holistic doctor but it is a good idea. I understand about the effects of the heart meds - all very unpleasant. My husband is tired enough without the fatigue of beta blockers kicking in. Taking them last thing at night helps a bit - you sleep it off. Morning ones kick in around lunch time. My best wishes to you too! Take care of yourself.
  • Posted

Hello amelie27,

My wife found your post as I had the same thing happen to me.  I started a Beta Blocker (Coreg) and my WBC count jumped 20 thousand.  I have CLL and tested to have good prognostic features. But the Beta Blocker which I started in January gave me a large jump in WBC in April.  

I would be so apprciative to know what you found out.  Did your husband have the WBC increase from his Heart Medication?  Thanks

Tom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.