Can you re-rupture Achilles inside cast after surgery?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I had Achilles revision surgery 2 days ago and I am currently in a splint. As I was dozing off, I had a muscle spasm in my calf and felt my foot jolt up causing pain to my recently operated Achilles/calf. Is it possible that I could have undone the surgery due to this spasm?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Don't panic, I really doubt it very much!

It is expected to be painful during recovery, but as long as you follow advice from your medical professionals and don't have any falls etc, I'm sure it will be fine!

• Posted

I did fall and re-rupture my Achilles two weeks ago which led to the recent surgery and don't think I could go through this a third time. I probably am panicking just a bit but the pain did get significantly worse since that incident. Thank you for the response, I will continue to follow the medical advice as mentioned.

• Posted

Sorry to hear you've had such a horrible experience with the re-rupture, I can understand why you would panic, that must have been heart breaking! I'm sure calf spasms and pain are to be expected though. I hope you get some follow up soon, so you can have some reassurance you are going in the right direction.

• Posted

I completely understand your fear, I to recently re-ruptured my Achilles and calcanous. While in a cast I fell and my leg hit a concrete floor. i just knew i had ruptured it again, like u that would mean a third surgery. I saw my surgeon the same day and he was not concerned in the least. Why? Because the cast protects your leg and re-rupture while in a cast is very slim. Now don't get me wrong, it hurt quite a bit more for about a week but then eased up. I am 5 months in on this surgery, I still have some pain but nothing that requires pain relievers. I am just now doing lite weight bearing, am still in a boot, and go to physical therapy 3 times a week. Also, I have noticed that my leg and foot will jerk occasionally on it's own. My doctor said that was because the nerves are healing from the surgery and that once it is completely healed that should stop. The recovery this time has been much longer, but that's because i injured more this time and it had only been 4 months since i had, had the first surgery. I still have long way to go but it is improving everyday.

Take care and I hope all goes well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.