Can you remove gallstones rather than the gallbladder?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with gallstones and an enlarged liver back in April of 2015 via ultrasound, and had intermittent upper stomach pain and back pain with them. It was typically mild pain as long as I could sit down and rest, it would go away. Yesterday I had my same mild gallstone pain, but after a few minutes it became severe pain in my back in upper abdomen. I've never experienced that before. I started sweating some and my heart rate got higher, but after about 15 minutes, it went away. I had another attack at 6am this morning for about 10 minutes with the severe upper back pain and no position would relieve it, it just faded after about 10 mins of suffering and I went back to sleep. I'm scared by those. I was already referred to a gastro and general surgeon who all said to get my gallbladder removed back in the summer, and I did fine, but now it is starting to concern me. I don't plan on getting it removed because of all the horror stories, but my great grandfather had his stones removed and did wonderful. I was wondering if removing the stones would improve me? I also have everyday chronic nausea I thought was caused by gallstones, but I am unsure. I am getting a CT scan of the Abdomen on Thursday, I hope. All my blood, liver, and pancreatic tests were fine when they were tested a few weeks ago by my regular doctor. I burp a lot, too...and have quite a few annoying stomach issues here and there, but I was also wondering if gallstones can cause chronic nausea? I don't eat that well, and eat some junk food, but I do try and exercise every few days. 

I take probiotics, and just recently started eating yogurt, so I'm trying to improve my diet to see if it might help my gallstones. 

I have only been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, which is in regular range thanks to meds, and high thyroid antibodies, along with the gallstones and enlarged liver of 18cm. 

I am a 21 year old female, 5'8" in height and about 210lbs (overweight, but I used to be in the 300lbs and started exercising) non-smoker and non-drinker. 

If anyone could shed any light on my issues, I would greatly appreciate it. Gallbladder removal, Gallstone removal, and chronic nausea? 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Stones form in the gallbladder so if they removed the stones you could get them again. That is why they now remove the gallbladder.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xxx

• Posted

I figured they would come back. As they say, a person who makes gallstones will always make them! They used to only do the gallstone removal back in the day, though. I just feel like it's a necessary organ despite what doctors try to say, ya know?
    • Posted

Actually, from the information I have read. Gallstones actually form in the liver, then are stored in the GB , with the  bile.  But, because they cant get out of the GB, thats why they roll around and get larger, and that irritates the wall of GB and causes inflammation. Then when the GB contracts when its suppose to rid some bile to help digest foods, thats when the contraction causes the pain in the form of attacks.  Even with all the homeopathic remedies with flushes, there isnt concrete eveidence that flushes the stones out of the GB... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.