Can you safely use Propylene Glycol to Liquid Taper Mirtazapine while also in Benzo Recovery???

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey guys,

So I am benzo free since July 1st 2019. I am at a point now where I feel ready to taper off the Mirtazapine. I tried before just dry cutting and the withdrawal was too intense kept going multiple days in a row without sleep. I should also mention that I also quit using medical Cannabis 3 months ago after using it for sleep during my benzo taper. It wasn't easy to quit either at any rate I'm now at a place where I feel ready to taper off the Mirtazapine again this time liquid tapering.

I had heard that using alcohol as a solvent may not be the best idea for liquid tapering as alcohol is GABAergic and could harm recovery and had read for this reason Propylene Glycol maybe a better alternative as there is supposedly no alcohol content in Propylene Glycol however what's confusing is when you google Propylene Glycol and look it up on Wikipedia it says " .. Containing two alcohol groups, it is classed as a diol. It is miscible with a broad range of solvents, including water, acetone, and chloroform."

So is Propylene Glycol an alcohol or not just like the type we can't touch while in recovery(ethanol/methanol) Is it even safe

to use on a liquid taper? Does it even work for Mirtazapine? I'm confused I thought that if anything has alcohol content it had to be listed on the bottle itself and on Amazon itself it says " This is not alcohol" but Wikipedia says otherwise??

I'm confused and just wanna make sure I'm not gonna have a bad reaction using it to taper off the Mirtazapine while also in benzo recovery. I ordered a litre bottle to start my taper off Mirtazapine and now I'm worried it may not be safe to use as a solvent as it's just basically like using drinking alcohol??

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

wow this sounds like a question for a medical professional

• Posted

I was hoping there would be at least one other person who would have liquid tapered Mirtazapine using propylene glycol and they would be able to give me some feedback.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.