Can you solve my reflux riddle?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all

I'd been experiencing acid reflux on- off until about half a year ago when it cleared up. I stopped smoking and drinking alcohol. I also stopped high impact exercise within 4 hours of eating.

Over the 4 years I had reflux I tried many things to help me out and I had many theories on the cause. Because an endoscopy revealed that my les sphincter didn't close properly, I thought it might be more to do with exercise and activity (knocking or pushing air up) than diet.

Anyway in the last few days it has come back. I'm doing nothing differently: I still have a glass of water and lemon juice in the morning on an empty stomach then walk to work for 45 minutes, then cereal and coffee and then continue  through the day. This same routine I'd been doing for months with no effect is starting to give me reflux in he morning and into the afternoon.

We have just returned from 3 weeks in the USA. Over there I was exercising each morning on an empty stomach, and eating more and less healthily. I was also walking a lot on a full stomach. Not one bit of reflux 

This is frustrating because I'm doing nothing differently and yet I have reflux and Am also burping loads of air. 

I wonder if anyone has any theories?!

Thanks for anything

Simon

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You probably shouldn't exercise on an empty stomach try a shake 35-40 minutes before exercising. Eat small meals throughout the day. Acid reflux also occurs in a empty stomach. Eat smaller meals and reduce your fat intake to curtail indigestion and keep your LES working as it should. Something you ate?? When you eat chew food slowly so you won't swallow air. Wish you all the best!💕

• Posted

Are you aware that acid reflux if its coming up to your throat is damaging your insides. What not take a PPI, it reduces the acid and also heals the damage. Ignore all the scare stories about these drugs, be more worried about getting in a car, they kill and injure people every day. 

I find my reflux even with the PPI tales a strange turn sometimes. I know not why, or care really. I change my medication and sort the problem out. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.