Can you still have a Colonoscopy with a cold?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I meant to be having a colonoscopy next Wednesday and I have been waiting a while for it. Today I have noticed I am starting to get a cold with a sore throat and slight stuffy nose and feeling sick, although I feel sick everyday regardless. I really need this colonoscopy done as soon as, as I feel so unwell generally for reasons why I am having it done and I don’t want a cold to stop me as I’m having sedation. Will it still go ahead if I have a cold? 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Best to phone the facility where you are having the colonoscopy done and ask their advice. I've heard that some will continue with the procedure regardless, however others can be quite picky. I can't see it being a problem if it is only a cold, you'll usually be fully awake with the sedation so will be able to try and control any sneezing, coughing or runny nose to some extent. Either that or do everything you can to try and get over the worst of it by Wednesday, you still have 5 days to get over the worst, only issue would be having to go through the bowel prep while feeling run down and groggy with a cold, the prep isn't the best experience on a good day, but to have a cold during it too might make it a tougher experience to deal with.

I hope that helps and hope you get the answers you need from your colonoscopy. All the best.

• Posted

Hi, get yourself some "First Defense" nasal spray from the chemist, I think it's made by "Vicks". Use it a few times a day for 3/4 days & hopefully it will halt the progress of your cold. It has worked for me in the past but you need to start today. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.