Can you take d mannose with antibiotics

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I am on trimethoprim for a uti. Been on them for 6 days, feel slightly better today (not much but a bit). I have bought some d mannose can I take this alongside the antibiotic.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah

You should be OK with D'Mannose. If you find that you get a lot of UTIs make sure you do your pelvic floor exercises, UTIs are a common occurance if your pelvic floor is weak. Strengthen up your pelvic floor and you should reap the benefits.

Hope this helps

S

• Posted

Thanks. This is the first time I have had a uti. Do not want another one! I am 8 weeks post op for posterior repair so is the last thing I wanted. The infection is proving difficult to get rid of had it 4 weeks on second lot of antibiotics. As I have improved a bit today and the d mannose came in the post today thought I would check it won't effect the antibiotics.

• Posted

I was told Sarah that antibiotics don't always get rid of it as the bacteria becomes immune.I tasks d mannose as a preventative at night and fgind it works well..gods luckx

• Posted

Hi sarah I am also suffering with uti I took trimethoprim then doctor told me that they don't use them now as first port of call as they are to weak. I was given nitrofuritin and these seem to be working. This is my 3rd uti since pelvic floor repair grrrrr ad my repair in Aug last year hope you feel better soon x

• Posted

Hallo....I used D Mannose at the onset of a uti and it worked really well.  It prevented me from having to take antibiotics.                    Alot of ladies use D Mannose as a preventative regularly if they are prone to uti's.  

• Posted

Yes Carole I agree with you. I swear by it . hasd 3 after my repair and never had one before that. I don't touch antibiotics ad I feel they only mask the problem and mostly the uti will return. I haven't had any now since last august. I find a preventative dose before bed is the key. Also it is metabolized in the body so is very safe. Its just excreted through urine. Whatits like to be a woman😊

• Posted

I meant itsnt metabolized in the same way as other medicines. Sorry!!
    • Posted

I've never heard of D Mannose, where do you get this from as I'm on my 8th infection since surgery in April and the antibiotics antibiotics ?tend to make me feel worse x

• Posted

I got it off the Internet. Just Google d mannose. I have decided to give it a go alongside the antibiotic. I have had it for over a month on second lot of antibiotics so getting desperate
    • Posted

I think you'll find that cranberry juice has a high sugar content, which I would want to steer clear of. However I have heard good things about cranberry extract in table form. Good luck, and try to keep as healthy as possible. S

• Posted

It is just horrible isn't it. Even though I am on antibiotics the constant urge to pee every 20 mins or so is still there. I don't know why they are not working my urine test came back that bug was sensitive to trimethoprim.

• Posted

Pm me melons and I'll give you the website.such as lot of info on it.x

• Posted

I've been like it since surgery but got told my bladder has dropped , I get up in the night at least 3times I end up so tired I ignored my last urine infection and it ended up in my kidneys which I ended up on trimethoprim for two weeks but no matter matter? what I try the bugs keep coming back

• Posted

You could try the d mannose but you need to find out if the infection is e coli apparently it only works for that bacteria. I have only used it today so will let you know if my symptoms improve. When you are on antibiotics do they make you feel better because they are not doing anything for me.
    • Posted

Yes that is true,but you can start taking it while being tested. Its all safe.
    • Posted

That's because they bury into bladder wall until your run down there start again. They are very immune to antibiotics and once you have taken them they can become used to them.. Research is your best Alli.

• Posted

I use cranberry jic from a company called Biona. It's pure pressed organic juice so nothing added. I dilute it it's water as its an acquired taste due to no sugar. 

• Posted

Its a naturally occurring sugar that's foud in blueberries, cranberies but doesn't go through our liver therefore very safe for us.xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.