Can you take isosorbide mononitrate at night?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi there, I wondered why it is advised to take this medication in the morning. My husband has to take it due to angina but it makes him feel very nauseous and gives him an awful headache

He was taking it at night initially by mistake and this seemed much better

Thanks 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nic... on this is is odwn to what the gp or cardiologist is trying to achieve, i take mine at night as they are trying to stop overnight micro vasospasm. It give me a headache!!!! but doesnt make me feel sick. I would suggest you or husband talk with them and find out what the intent is my having it at morning and not night. They may be trying to achieve better days or......... i have different stuff for the day time...I would not just change when you (he) takes it as it may be for a good reason... on the other hand they may change it... hope this helps...
    • Posted

Thanks Andrew, we have an appointment soon with the cardiologist, but might try GP in the meantime. My husband has so many other medications for his heart failure, & has GTN sprays for daytime as needed too

Thnanks again for your advice

• Posted

Hi nicw,

This drug is prescribed for morning use as it is a slow releasing/extended release drug. I'ts primary use is exactly the same as GTN spray under the tongue but obviously works longer , I find that it doesn't have any effect with Prinzmetal Angina but I have heard that it works well with people with stable angina, both those symptoms you have mentioned are very common side effects with this drug and should wear off in a couple of days to up to 2 weeks, if it is really annoying I suggest going back to your doctor or cardiologist, I don't know which part of the world you are from but here where I am we have over the counter pain relief called Panadol or Panamax (both the same ) just made by a different company I believe, that will get rid of the headaches.

• Posted

Some reading for you...

From the Mayo Clinic on the medication Isosorbide

http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/isosorbide-mononitrate-oral-route/proper-use/drg-20072923

• Posted

Hi Samuel, very interesting and one i havent read. But, for me the prevention of overnight micorspasm is more important and i have meds for the day time (Diltiziam) and so i take mine at night only- and wake up with a headache that usually clears by 10 but isnt fun at all!
    • Posted

Hi Andrew,

I believe I was put on 120mg of Isosorbide for 2 things, an attempt to reduce spasms and because I've had a couple of NSTEMI's, headaches are a thing of the past for me with this medication....thankfully and "touch wood" they won't return.

I was doing some reading this morning on Isosorbide and found that most doctors prescribe 60 Mg and in instances they get you to halve the tablet (from memory they are scored for easy breaking into halves) so that you are taking 30 Mg twice a day, higher doses should only be taken once a day and it's also possible for the patient to build up a tolerence to this drug. Obviously everyone is different so dosage rate is important but like you have said to original poster if in doubt go back and talk to their doctor or cardiologist, instructions are usually printed and stuck onto the drug packaging, if there is in fact instructions for this drug to be taken at night there's obviously a reason, but in saying that and the original posters comments that her husband was initially taking them at night by mistake, I'm only summising here but maybe the vomiting is due to taking the medication just before bed on an empty stomach ... but also in saying that this drug can make people feel nauseated or even vomit.

• Posted

I am lucky with that the only side effect is the blasted headaches..... very lucky really as it can do a range of things.... phew, at least somehting has gone right... 30 was bad 60 is not fun i dread to think what 120 would be like, i am not sure i could take that dose levele, though i suppose if the body aclimatises and i have to well..... but after  6 months still ge tthe heads... but it does clear now by 10 where it used to be into the afternoon hmmmmmmm
    • Posted

Wow...really I'd of thought the headaches would of dissapated if you have been on them that long , perhaps a discussion is in order with your doctor or cardiologist, it's suppose to be helping you not give you troubles with something else...if you know what I mean smile

Now I can't tolerate these kind of drugs but has amitriptyline been mentioned with you ? It's an anti depressant but cardiology doesn't use it for that reason, it has pain blocking abilities between the small blood vessels in the heart and the thallous ( that's the little receptor type thinghy in our brain isn't it...the thallous ? ) My original cardiologist tells me it tricks the thallous into thinking we aren't suffering any pain, something to that effect.

• Posted

indeed biggrin! my GP and cardio just say it will improve, they are right and i am sure by the summer.... ah well.....

hmmmm interesting, i willl ask... thank you!

• Posted

Sorry I think I got my word mixed up.....I believe its "Thalamus" not "Thallous"

• Posted

biggrin i do frequently........... my fingers often think they are right...and have to be corrected sometimes i see it in time sometimes i dont... they also try to type too quick hoping to get away with things....
  • Posted

y GP told me that as a slow release GTN it only works for about 20 hours so there is a 4 hour period when you have no cover so he said to take at a time to suit me when I get the pain which is more often in the evening so suggested to take around 5pm I have never felt nausious but the headache will go away after a short time once you get used to it. It is best to discuss with your GP when he thinks it best to take
  • Posted

Yes I take mine at night my cardiologist advised me to, I take most of my heart meds at night except blood thinner plavix 
  • Posted

Dear nicw1976

I used to take 20mg twice a day morning and evening. I was getting breathless and my doctor increased the dose to 40 mg twice a day. After excercising I feel I want to reduce the dose so I stop the morning dose and use only night time. It is better to take at night if you can. Your body adapt to it.

• Posted

Can you take isosorbide mononitrate at morning due to exert its action in effort time and at rest time as at night the drug will need sh group which will be available with free drug time so the body will produce SH group at the time the drug is eleminated and the body is not need it in the case of rest .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.